Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cornu and Tuba Calls
I am getting ready to write some standardized CORNU calls, for use in our needlefelting (I KNOW we have no evidence, but they used them and probably had some method of standardized "Cornu Calls"). Debate that at will, this is a dooah post, not a hooah post, but I am wondering if anyone else has written some? If so we could collaborate.

Just Basics:

Assembly/Ad Signa
Advance
Retreat
Rally
Charge
Recall
To Arms

As a start. I do not intend to use modern calls, as the cornu and tuba range is much lower than a bugle or trumpet, and limited somewhat by the horns' range and bad tone.

Once done we will do a CD to send out at cost, with music too. Be awesome to get recalled next year at Lafe, as the fort is under attack.

My intention is for the calls to work with Tuba or Cornu. In the field the Deepeeka Tuba is Much easier to maneuver with, so either horn could be used.

Any constructive input would be appreciated. I have played the trumpet forever, and was Buglemaster at The Citadel many years ago, so it will be fun.
Rusty, I have found that "here Tuba, tuba, tuba" is not effective.
No matter how much you call them, they just won't respond....
:lol:

seriously, looking forward to your contribution!
Maybe we can hear them at the Mobile/Pompeii event?
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Fascinating project - I'd love to be involved.

I have had a great deal of fun playing a colleague's replica Saalburg lituus (possibly the Deepeeka model?) this Summer - essentially a tuba with a wide upturned mouth (see Bishop & Coulston 2006 p190, & Fig 123 - although figures on coins described as lituus seem to be a lot more curved, these may be staffs rather than the instrument?).

As a bugler with the Boys Brigade for many years, I was surprised to find that it could play lots of notes in between the harmonic 5 or 6 notes I was familiar with and thus had difficulty reliably playing three note calls that were "in tune" to my ears without much time to practise & get my lips in.

I therefore used a simple two note interval fanfare to announce our presence on the march / into the arena, less 'Ad Signa' than "Shut Up & Stand Aside" plus a hunting call for the charge - high, rapid, repeated single notes which I felt suited the cavalry. I'll get back to you with actual notes.

I've seen descriptions of a "classicum" as a call to arms or as an evening 'taps', any thoughts?
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
The Saalburg Lituus is NOT Roman, I am sorry to say...it is 13./14. cent.
Like, it seems, most of the other founds of Litui, too.
I am writing an article about that during winter...

If you are a good player you also can force out tones that do not lay naturally on a tuba or a cornu. Simply depends on a player...

We also have evidences of cornu calls and transcribed signals...so you might use them. :wink: Big Grin
I would offer my help with that, if needed.
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Yes, I can get a lot out of a tuba or cornu, but I am looking to keep it simple, so most could learn them with a little practice, and it is not necessary to be a musical prodigy or anything. Of course step one is to buy a decent mouthpiece.

I hope to finish the preliminaries by our Oct 21 event.

Rusty
Quote:The Saalburg Lituus is NOT Roman, I am sorry to say...it is 13./14. cent.

Ah, the glorious dreams of the re-enactor, dispersed before the icy blast of historical evidence. Cry I'll be interested in your findings.

Quote:We also have evidences of cornu calls and transcribed signals...so you might use them.
I would offer my help with that, if needed.

Please! Smile

Obviously, some relevant bits of Vegetius are:
"The music of the legion consists of trumpets, cornets and buccinae [tubicines cornicines bucinatores]. The trumpet sounds the charge and the retreat. The cornets are used only to regulate the motions of the colors; the trumpets serve when the soldiers are ordered out to any work without the colors; but in time of action, the trumpets and cornets sound together. The classicum, which is a particular sound of the buccina or horn [bucinatores per cornu], is appropriated to the commander-in-chief and is used in the presence of the general, or at the execution of a soldier, as a mark of its being done by his authority. The ordinary guards and outposts are always mounted and relieved by the sound of trumpet, which also directs the motions of the soldiers on working parties and on field days. The cornets sound whenever the colors are to be struck or planted. These rules must be punctually observed in all exercises and reviews so that the soldiers may be ready to obey them in action without hesitation according to the general's orders either to charge or halt, to pursue the enemy or to retire." II, XXII

and the (contrary?)

"All guards [watches?] are mounted by the sound of trumpet and relieved by the sound of cornet."

Apologies, I'm not sure how good the translation is.

According to Southern & Dixon, Procopius wrote that in former times two different strains could be played to denote the attack & the retreat, but that, as this skill had been lost, Belisarius should sound the attack on cavalry trumpets & the retreat on those of the infantry, as they were made of different materials & couldn't be confused by the troops. This perhaps doesn't bode well for a complex system in the late period.

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Further references.

from "Introduction: II. The Roman Art of War in Caesar's Time," Caesar's Gallic War, ed. Francis W. Kelsey. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 1897.

"The order "to advance" or "to retreat" was conveyed by the general to the trumpeters (tubicines; cf. II. xx. 3; VII. xlvii. 1-3); their signal was taken by the horn-blowers (cornicines)"... From the immediate association of the manipular standards with military movements arose several idiomatic expressions. Such are: signa inferre, 'to advance;' signa referre, 'to retreat;' signa convertere, 'to face about;' signa efferre, 'to leave camp;' ad signa convenire, 'to assemble.'
refs from De Bello Gallico.

So, one might use these idioms rather than the modern call names.

I doubt these injunctions to use different instruments will help many small re-enactment groups. Sad

Some websites quote over 40 signals, Confusedhock: but I haven't found a source yet. I think it's best to stick to the outlined few Big Grin

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Salve, Rusty,

As a new group in Ireland we harbor an intention to acquire a cornu, I will watch with great interest your project. I will certainly be interested in getting a copy of the calls when you have them completed.

Well done, for tackling this project, I'm sure many groups will benefit from your research.
Vale, Gaius Antinius Salis Aka( Joseph Saleh)

ROMANS IRELAND. VEX LEG VIII AVG "CERTA BONUM CERTAMEN"

ROMAN LIVING HISTORY GROUP.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romansireland.com">www.romansireland.com
[email protected]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman tuba/Cornu Calls rusty myers 6 2,529 01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Last Post: rusty myers