Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I find this helmet.........
What kind of helmet is this Maximus is wearing? What is it called? I have seen it called a Greco-Roman helmet but Im not too sure. King Artorius wears it also in King Arthur. Where can I find one of these and not the cheap ones they sell on those non reenactor sites.
Help would be most appreciated.

PS: Anywhere but Nix Imperial.

Thank You
[Image: generalmott.jpg]
Anabasis

A.K.A. Michael the Thinker/Tinkerer

"Those who do not choose to see past the veil of lies
and accept the truth of the realities around them are doomed to
suffer for all time" -Michael
Try www.hetmanmilitaria.com ! Antoni Feldon makes great "attic" style helmets, although quite pricey. I think some vendor called "sword and stone" (try google) in the U.S has his products in their store.

Hope this helps!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hi Michael,

You can find a more affordable Attic helmet here : [url:3q0860qy]http://www.varmouries.com/anc_42.html[/url]

Good luck.

Theo
Jaime
Thanks guys, I have visited them and well they just don't look the same. It has got to be the crest. The others sites crests are too......weak. Maximus' crest hangs low in the back. Hmmmm. I will continue searching.

Best Regards
Anabasis

Theo, Thank you for posting the link.. How accurate is this reproduction?
Gaius Germanicus / aka A. Ingoglia
Quote:It has got to be the crest. The others sites crests are too......weak. Maximus' crest hangs low in the back.

Michael, the crest seen on Maximus' helmet is too low for a Roman crest. His looks more Greek than Roman. Unless that's the look you want I would suggest you steer clear of low crests.

About the helmet link I posted : I believe you can detach the crest box and replace it with your own design, but I'm not sure since I don't own one. Contact the vendor and ask to find out for sure. He'll probably even make adjustments at your request for an extra fee.

Quote:Theo, Thank you for posting the link.. How accurate is this reproduction?

Hi, Caius. You're welcome. That's a good question. It's one that's probably best left to one's individual opinion since there's never been an actual find of an Attic helmet. All the evidence we moderns have to go on is from sculptural evidence. I suggest you look around for yourself and decide if this helmet is fairly accurate.

T M Valerius owns one of these and has rounded the tip of the visor plate to make it look more consistent with the visual evidence.

The evidence varies considerably though. Some representations I've seen show the crest to be very tall with tall crest boxes. On the Louvre Relief the attic helmets have very short crest boxes and are heavily embellished.

My personal opinion of the helmet from Valentine Armouries is that it's very good for its price.

Good luck.

Theo
Jaime
Quote:Theo, Thank you for posting the link.. How accurate is this reproduction?
For one, Max is looking right at the artist but the helmet is pointed to the right! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Gaius Germanicus:32x0lwx9 Wrote:Theo, Thank you for posting the link.. How accurate is this reproduction?
For one, Max is looking right at the artist but the helmet is pointed to the right! Big Grin
Perhaps his helmet and cuirass are a single piece armour, so when he turns his head the helmet stays in place and he'll never lose it. Quite ingenious really.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:ac0hss6h Wrote:
Gaius Germanicus:ac0hss6h Wrote:Theo, Thank you for posting the link.. How accurate is this reproduction?
Perhaps his helmet and cuirass are a single piece armour, so when he turns his head the helmet stays in place and he'll never lose it. Quite ingenious really.

LOL :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Hi Michael,

You can find a more affordable Attic helmet here : [url:2zxxx4ld]http://www.varmouries.com/anc_42.html[/url]

Good luck.

Theo

For those that like Theo's link I recieved a reply on changing the crest etc. Here is what they told me.

"We can send it to you with the horsehair removable, but the box itself is welded on."

Me, I think I will search elsewhere though.
Anabasis

Thanks for letting us know, Anabasis.

BTW, there's always this helmet from Museum Replicas if you're set on getting a large crest :[url:376xs33w]http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/armor_and_shields/historical/helmets/greco_roman_helmet_with_red_crest.aspx[/url]

[Image: 0300210_D_000.jpg][Image: 0300156_D_000.jpg]

It's Republican era so the length is ok.
Jaime
Thank you again Theo , I've always liked this style of helmet but have only seen it in Hollywood movies so I have no idea what a genuine one would look like... Who made the one you are wearing in your avatar?
Quote:I've always liked this style of helmet but have only seen it in Hollywood movies so I have no idea what a genuine one would look like...

In movies, most of them look pretty good. Although, I object to them being made out of leather.

Quote:Who made the one you are wearing

I had it custom-made, but I've made several modifications (mostly additions) to it. I replaced the original feathers with the ones you see which are much taller. Also, the brass applique work on the cheek and brow plates, on the crown, I had made.

If you'd like the contact info to the man who made the helmet I'd be happy to send it to you thru a PM.

BTW, these are good threads to review about the Attic helmet in history and where to buy them.

link from old RAT

link from old RAT

Theo
Jaime
Theo; You did a nice job as the helmet looks great , thank you for posting the links and I'll read up on them before making a purchase...
Theo; Thank you and I would also be interested in the contact info of the gentleman who made your helmet as it is quite nice.. I am not ready at present to make a purchase but would like to gather info on suppliers so I have them when I am ready to get one.. Big Grin