Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: what roman movie should you like to see made?
<br>
<br>
Except for the movies you already know in progress, of course.<br>
Suggest your preferred period, or emperor, or<br>
episode, or battle, to the film-makers wherever they are.<br>
<br>
Maybe...<br>
<br>
Don't forget to tell why you prefer it and please mention the actors you see better in the movie.<br>
<br>
<br>
suggestion 1: the emperor Iulianus' "the apostate" extrordinary life and adventure.<br>
<br>
suggestion 2: at last, "De bello gallico"!<br>
<br>
Ualete<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
A life of Caesar would be nice. The Gallic Wars would be great. I don't know about the actors but as far as directors go I'd choose Kurozawa for the battles scenes.<br>
Now, who could play Caesar? Big question.<br>
As far as Alexander the Great is concerned, it seems Hollywood is inclined to chose Leonardo di Caprio...<br>
No comment. <br>
<br>
<br>
That's not a comment, that's just compulsive, I take medecine for it.<br>
Flaubert's "Salammbô" is one of the best scripts ever written. I remember a franco-italian production made a pretty good mess of it back in the 60's although the battles scenes were pretty realistic for the period.<br>
And why not? Take Dumas' "The Three musketeers" and make a roman version of it. "The Three Legionnaires"...<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<br>
Leonardo di Caprio? Ouch! They drinked their brains...<br>
<br>
Agreed Antoninus, a big question: who'd play Caesar?<br>
Of course, the actor makes the difference even if the battles, the soldiers and the locations were perfect. We risked "Gladiator" with Mel Gibson... imagine "De bello gallico" with Harrison Ford... Brrrr...<br>
<br>
The three legionaries? Yes, and the Praetorians like Richelieu's guard.<br>
Do you see a gladiator-poet with a long, long nose, felt in love too?<br>
<br>
Uale,<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

I'd like to see a soldier's movie made, about the every day troops that had to do all the dirty work and figthing. Like a Roman version of "Platoon", or "Full Metal Jacket". You could cast just about anyone to play in this, with a few openings for big name actors/actresses.<br>
Era....mid 1st century or early 2nd of coures. No particular battle, you wouldn't need one if you are telling a "soldier's tale", but you could work it into the plot.<br>
<br>
Director? Hmmm...I don't know. Someone who pays attention to detail and history. Are there any of those out there? They'd also need a talented crew for the film too. <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
Caesar - I've always been partial to (dare I say it) Rex Harrison! Anyhoo possibly Anthony Hopkins.<br>
<br>
I would like to see possibly a life of Ammianus Marcellinus or (my favourite) Frontinus - has a movie of Agricola been done?<br>
<br>
Other than that any and every thing will be watched.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
I would like to see a television series, like BBC's version of "I Claudius" about the Flavian family, from Vespasian in the early days through Domitian. Of course, another wonderful television series would be the Damian Hunter books "The Centurions", "Barbarian Princess" and "Emperor's Games".<br>
<br>
<p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Debbie does Dura europos <p><BR><a href="http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic" target="Rules For Posting"></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Well, my obvious first answer is "the Varus disaster" of course!<br>
<br>
Otherwise, Trajan's Dacian Wars and the Battle of Adrianople would be great. As would the Battle of Chalons (done properly, not like in the recent TV mini-series).<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius
<BR>
<P>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project<BR>
Help create the film of Publius Quinctilius Varus' lost legions</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
I agree with Tim. Varus Disaster above all.<br>
Adrianople would be really interesting.<br>
Crassus disaster too.<br>
Of course Cannae but it is maybe too obvious a choice as most people have heard about the great Hannibal.<br>
<br>
I think disaster movies are the most interesting.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
#1 would be movie recreating the events of the Varus Disaster.<br>
#2 it would be nice to see a theatrical version of something out of Josephus' <i> "Jewish War"</i>, whether it be some specific engagement or event, perhaps even an updated and improved <i> Masada.</i> <p><a href=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic><u>Rules For Posting</u>

</p><i></i>
on a more sensible note, and seeing as how i can just rent a copy of Caligula...<br>
<br>
I do think that Ammianus has a lot of possibilities everytime I read any of it, either the history, or the life of Ammianus himself. <p><BR><a href="http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic" target="Rules For Posting"></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Avete!<br>
<br>
How about LEGION: INVASION OF BRITAIN<br>
<br>
Anthony Hopkins as Vespasian, or maybe Ian Holm. maybe he would make a better Claudius?<br>
anyway, it could be made as a 'Soldier's Film' with some bigger name actors playing smaller parts as the higher ranking characters. I think Tom Sizemore would make a good Centurion, based on his work in 'Saving Private Ryan'. Maybe it could be a screen version of simon scarrow's books? <p></p><i></i>
<br>
Vespasianus-Hopkins! Sure!<br>
<br>
Btw, the real Vespasianus' double is my uncle Angelo (and my grandfather Domenico too): exactly the same face, the same typical grimace, the same land: the Sabina (100 Km from Roma)...<br>
<br>
Unfortunately he is 75 years old <br>
<br>
Uale,<br>
<br>
"Desilite, inquit, commilitones, nisi vultis aquilam hostibus prodere" D.B.G. (4.25) <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

If the countryside is like it is here then it's probably still the same gene pool <p></p><i></i>
Belisarius and Justinian, especially the reconquest of North Africa. Great battle scenes, pathos, upright and too trusting Belisarius, scheming Theodora, devious Justinian, Narses, Hagia Santa Sophia ..... WOW! Why not bring Constantinople back to life again, as they tried to do with Rome in Gladiator.<br>
<br>
Alternatively, why not the first crusader, and the last 'Roman' Emperor, Heraclius. Though I could imagine this being a bit too sensitive a topic at the moment!<br>
<br>
Celer. <p></p><i></i>