Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Corinthian Helmet in the Mediterranean Museum, Stockholm
It's very fragmentary; most of the back part, including the neckguard, is missing. The helmet has no decoration, but on the inside of the noseguard there are, allegedly, two letters.

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

And the last one... enjoy! Wink

[Image: 7.jpg]

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Very nice, Susanne. That huge nasal reminds me of the Mycenaean (?) vase painting in which all the warriors have ridiculously long noses and pursed lips. Can't find it just now.
This style of corinthian is typically refered to as Myros corinthian, named after a helmet that wa found with this name inscribed on it. The period of use was between the the late 7th to the late sixth century BC was then replaced by the classic corinthian (the one with ear holes) around the second half of the sixth century BC.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
The illustration I had in mind is known as the Mycenaean Warrior Vase (c.1150). I've seen it in various sources, including Everson's "Warfare in Ancient Greece". The noses are really long and would be well-suited to a helmet with a whopping nasal as in the pictures Susanne showed. I realized that helmet is too late for Mycenae. Presumably, the later Greeks, although often supposed to be of different tribes, nonetheless still had the same noses!
[Image: fig3.jpg]

You mean, this one?

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

And yes, their noses are huuuuuge! Big Grin

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

That's the one, the vase awarded to the champions of the Hoplite league - the Nose Bowl!
Can you believe for a minute that the vessel once was dated to 8th century BCE? Confusedhock:

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Well, now, isn't that interesting?
Quote:Can you believe for a minute that the vessel once was dated to 8th century BCE?
It is very believable. 8th century is likely to be closer than the date currently assigned to it. Read "Centuries of Darkness" by James et al. Here is James' website
http://www.centuries.co.uk/
He argues very convincingly that the current chronology is wrong. Whether his new chronology is accurate still remains to be seen. I would put money on the fact that James' chronology is closer than the one we are currently using and that the Warrior Vase dates to around the late 10th century rather than the 12th.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Thanks, Dan.

I will take a gander at it next time I go to my campus. Big Grin

What exactly do they say regarding the vase?

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

I don't think he mentions the vase specifically but the period to which it has been dated has been revised down by two or three centuries.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Just finished reading the JHS review. Although I'm not much of a Bronze Age kind of person I'll check it out someday (and maybe discuss it with this one guest lecturer who will be holding a talk about Bronze Age Cyprus, in a fortnight).

I like your Mycenaean armour impression, by the way. Smile

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for a new Greek Corinthian helmet, any ideas? Achilleion 2 1,928 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Achilleion
  The corinthian helmet on horseback? Steakslim 5 2,080 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Modifying a Depeeka Corinthian Helmet Tim Mathews 11 5,227 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius