Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pattern welded Spatha by Patrick Barta!
Salve!

There`s something for us all to drool over....
http://www.templ.net/pics/a19av.jpg

What do you think, should I sell my apartment and buy this!?

Happy Saturnalia!

Virilis Finlandicus / Jyrki Halme
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Yes, sell your apartment, buy the sword and give it to me please Tongue
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Too perfect! :roll:
The scabbard slide should be grooved (he doesn't seem ot understand how was it attached) Late Roman scabbards (AFAIK) didn't have mouth-pieces and the pattern of the sccabard looks fanciful, in the line of the later Vth century Germanic Nydam ones...
Not worthy of the huge sum of money undoubtedly asked for it Confusedhock:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Too perfect!

Just what I wanted to say. It's so perfect it isn't realistic any more IMO.

I didn't spot all those wrong things on the scabbard Aitor, thanks for mentioning them. One would expect that at least a sword so expensive would be better researched.

Regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I guess that everybody know that the intended model is the St. Severin's Gate sword (Cologne), allegedly dated in the beginning of the Fourth century AD. It is an antiquarian lot said to have come from a grave but there are problems, the sword seems to be rather from the late IIIrd century, while the cruciform brooch could be even mid-IVth!
BTW, how expensive is it? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Only 2000€ :roll: a bargain
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Too perfect!
The scabbard slide should be grooved (he doesn't seem ot understand how was it attached) Late Roman scabbards (AFAIK) didn't have mouth-pieces and the pattern of the sccabard looks fanciful, in the line of the later Vth century Germanic Nydam ones...

That's my Aitor!!! Tooperfect(ionist)!

Well, i think some reproductions are too perfect. But some people don't want to pay 2000 Eur to buy a sword with "imperfections". That's a problem. What's better, a true imperfect sword, or a very perfect sword?

I'll bet for the first option.
Indeed. A sword that is too perfect is wrong, it's not a replica of the real thing. I think there isn't a lot of difference between a sword that is too perfect and a sword that is very badly made, they are both wrong.

They do look pretty but if you want to use it for reenacting you can as well buy a deepeeka one and improve it yourself.

Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The difference here is the time & effort to make a properly pattern welded blade & not just some low grade SSO (sword shaped object).

I'm fairly sure that if you sent Patrick Bárta a detailed description & pictures of exactly what you want he would make you an outstanding weapon.

reviews of a couple of his pieces here http://www.myarmoury.com/reviews.html

I know what you mean about overly perfect work though, somehow it just makes things look too modern.

Adam
Adam Rudling
The Vicus - recreating life in 1st Century Britain
2,000 €!!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Of course, pattern-welding is a very expensive commodity, as well as ivory is... 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Maybe if we point those mistakes out to the manufacturer, he'll let us have it for € 500? :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Maybe if we point those mistakes out to the manufacturer, he'll let us have it for € 500? :lol:

Fat chance Tongue D
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I can sell you pattern welded copy of a 3rd C AD short sword for 340Eur (£230). It is approx 51cm long.

[Image: 3RDSEMIS.jpg]

Believe me, it aint perfect looking. Accurate though...

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I would be interested - have already sent you a private message Big Grin
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Ooops, sorry Andrew, I did not realize that your 'you' probably did not mean 'the general public', but probably specifically Jef... :oops:

However, if Jef is not interested, I would still probably take it :wink:
Florian Himmler (not related!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pattern Welded Ring pommel gladius leonardod 3 2,051 04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,734 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Patrick Barta Roman hilts? StephenCurtin 8 2,050 11-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Last Post: StephenCurtin