Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cresting for Late Roman Ridge helms
Hi Constaine here I was wondering we have all scene art work showing Late Roman troops wearing horse hair crests. I was wondering well how does one attache them to the helm?I am thinking of cresting my ridge helm down the road in the near future. If any one has tips on how to do it that would be great. Any pics of Reenactors with such helms that would be useful Take care Constaine and thanks
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Hi Constaine,
LR helmets rarely had horsehair crests. Most of them had metal crests to secure the ridge of their helmet, leaving no room for attached crests. I know of just one: the Augst helmet which had slits, apparently for a detachable crest.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Vortigern,

Does anyone make a reproduction of that model ?

I haven't even seen it :?
Jaime
Yes, I have a picture (two in fact) of the museum reconstruction, but not uploaded yet. If you really want to see it :lol: I can show it... It's not what you would say a 'beauty'...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Constaine,

I remember that the late Roman helmet of Budapest (a highly decorated officers helmet with gilded surface and stones, very similar to the famous Berkasovo I) has in total 4 little buckles at the outside. There is no ridge as the Berkasovo I has it, but only some stones running along the ridge. So a crest might be attachable. Two buckles are at the ridge at the front and back and one on each side. The buckles are rather rusted and not good visible at the photo and I have my books not by the hand, but IIRC the red marks show the position of the buckles correctly:

[Image: Budapest.jpg]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Hi Uwe,
of course that could be marks for an attached crest, but so far no reconstruction has dared to interpret it that way.

The Augst reconstructions:
[Image: augst1color.jpg] [Image: augst6.jpg]
Here's the helemt from above, showing the slits. It is posible that the crest was larger, all the way to the front:
[Image: augst4s.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Wow, great pics :!:

Thanks for posting them, Valerius.

Know if there's an off the shelf replica of this Augst helmet ?
Jaime
I think dawn of Time Crafts once had a replica of this helemt for sale (without the crest). But if they are still selling anything? I don't even know if their last address in Germany is correct ..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Constaine here thanks for the heads up Robert, I was under the imperssion that the helms were crested. In that light perhaps I will not be cresting mine then. Cheers Constaine
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Well,
You could try a detachable one. it's authentic and you could remove it at will. I'm sure it would look cool!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Costaine,

Yes, I'd always thought late-Roman helmets would look better with
some sort of crest (and less 'cheap-and-nasty' compared to earlier
forms). I've always thought that the Intercissa with the metal crest
looked tailor-made to support a hair crest-box. In fact, if anything, compared to 1st c. helmet crest attachments, this looks far more
sturdy and designed for the purpose. The angle of the Intercissa
metal crest would also tip any hair crest-box up at the front and
stop the inevitable 'droop' of the hair into the legionary's eyes. Big Grin

Quote:Here's the helemt from above, showing the slits. It is posible that the crest was larger, all the way to the front:

Yes Robert, that would look even better. This reconstruction makes
the helmet look a bit like a shaving brush. :lol:

Ambrosius[/quote]
"Feel the fire in your bones."
try this one

http://www.armae.com/antiquite/111casquesromains.htm
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I prefer my metal crest and it differentiates me from an Imperial roman.
Valete,
Owain/Cicero
a.k.a. Dave Kufner

QUI DESIDERAT PACEM PRAEPARAT BELLUM

<a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/
Quote: Yes Robert, that would look even better. This reconstruction makes the helmet look a bit like a shaving brush. :lol:
Here is a study of the Augst (Intercisa I type) helmet that I just did, lengthening the crest based on the strong probability of a slit further up front:
[Image: augsttypess.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Nice job! Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chin Ties for Late Roman Intercisa Ridge Helmet Antoninus05 5 2,399 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  German website details for helms from Roman to Early Med Cheyenne 6 2,273 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Late Roman Helms Anonymous 9 2,305 12-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS