Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear manufacturers -roman gear- beginner
Good afternoon,

Iam new on this forum, as you can see by me not greeting you correctly as the rest on this forum. Iam sorry for that, I will try to improve that in the future. 
I joined this forum yesterday, because I would like to put together some type of roman gear. Since some time I have been researching about some roman infantrymen gear and the evolution - of helmets, shields etc.
I also watched some videos of people, that explained some parts of gear, but also reviews of gear by manufacturer x or y.
I often heard phrases like: "don´t buy this cheap style of gear and save up a bit."

So I wanted to ask you, if you could recommend me some manufacturers for roman gear and maybe some sorts of websites or books, where I can see hisorically accurate gear and how it´s put together.
Like I can´t just buy a replica of a shield from the first days of rome and carry a late time gladius or some sort of that.
Somehow I find myself in the middle of buying gear that I like by the looks, that fit in the same time period but would never be worn in this combination or buying gear that really fits together and is historically accurate. 

With kind regards from germany
Of course we can, but it depends on your wishes. period, investment level, that sort of thing. Usually I advise new members to go for the soft kit first - tunic, belt, shoes(!), cloak - and take your time bofore you go for the costly heavy stuff. Shield before armour, spear before sword.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello,

the problem is, that I don´t really know at which dates which gear was worn/produced.

When I view products from sites, I read the describtion, but don´t really know, if this exact item was worn with this and that item, even if they were made in the same time period. For example this helmet and lorica segmentata don´t even show me the exact dates, of which the real counterparts were found or made.
https://www.outfit4events.com/eur/produc...-newstead/
https://www.outfit4events.com/eur/produc...escription

I also have never seen the chainmail on the shoulder guards.
I think the main problem that I have is that I have no team/group I could ask. I can imagine that asking people in a forum about basics and else are somehow annoying.
Is it possible that the helmet was from a way earlier period than the segmentata, which looks older in comparison to segmentatas I find on other websites with seemingly older style?

You referred to buying the cheaper stuff of the kit first, which I like, but the tunica, shoes and spear for example are still parts that should be really good quality made items. Most importantly the shoes, I also do some reenacment from nowadays military and work with firearms building kits etc., so I quickly learned that shoes, pants and shirt are really important.

I just found a register of groups that reenact roman stuff in my country, which I will contact.
My main goal in the end is a loadout like the one I attatched below.
A white tunica with a segmentata, scutum and all the basic stuff like a gladius and a pilum.
Except the greaves and the arm and leg greaves.
I would also like segmentata arm cover for the arms.
The scutum itself id like a standard one from the legions or the version, where there is the eagle depicted on it.
But I can imagine how some things might not fit together in terms of time.

With kind regards

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You need to pick a time period this will be your starting point then equipment can be far easier to show. Forget the picture you showed no good. Also the lorica in your link ? The groups you have mentioned near you will be of a time period and again kit will vary. As Robert said soft kit first, if you want to take part in events then you are half way there. As you want to wear a Lorica again the period you pick will determine the rest of your equipment.
Regards Brennivs ?
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
You said "also the lorica in your link"- is something weird about it or what do you mean by that?
Did the tunica also change over time?

With kind regards
Yes no mail was fitted to a lorica. 

Here are some basic books on just the lorica finds, of which more are being found to add to the story of usage and time period. 
As to the tunica it is basically the same garment only altered by time, culture and decoration again it is down to what period you are portraying. 
There is some much information out now and my hat is off to our European cousin's on they excellent research into Roman equipment and dress which only a few do in Brittania  Cry but its slowly getting better  Big Grin
There is a lot of change in approx 2000 years of history of the Roman empire, read a bit of its history the classics are a great start and find which Consul or Emporer you want to follow and then you have a start to what equipment you will need which the members can help you with  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(10-03-2021, 09:55 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Yes no mail was fitted to a lorica. 

Here are some basic books on just the lorica finds, of which more are being found to add to the story of usage and time period. 
As to the tunica it is basically the same garment only altered by time, culture and decoration again it is down to what period you are portraying. 
There is some much information out now and my hat is off to our European cousin's on they excellent research into Roman equipment and dress which only a few do in Brittania  Cry but its slowly getting better  Big Grin
There is a lot of change in approx 2000 years of history of the Roman empire, read a bit of its history the classics are a great start and find which Consul or Emporer you want to follow and then you have a start to what equipment you will need which the members can help you with  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin

Ok, thank you Smile
Which Emperor would I follow - Kaiser Augustus id say, I contacted a team yesterday which is focusing on that time, so I might even find a big team that has similar gear to me in the end.

With kind regards
(10-04-2021, 05:43 AM)17_Jäger Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 09:55 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Here are some basic books on just the lorica finds, of which more are being found to add to the story of usage and time period.

Ok, thank you Smile
Which Emperor would I follow - Kaiser Augustus id say, I contacted a team yesterday which is focusing on that time, so I might even find a big team that has similar gear to me in the end.

With kind regards

Both "The excavations at Roman Corbridge, The Hoard" and "Lorica Segmentata" volI & II are available for free online as PDF downloads, you will likely have to agree to the terms and conditions at ADS(Arch Data Service) to download.

I would also recommend "Roman Military Equipment" Bishop & Coulston 2nd edition, link is an example.
This should give you a good idea of what to look for or make if your so inclined...

Other books could include "Excavations at Dura Europos" the arms and armour Vol VII, as it contains details on the rectangular scutums, would try a library for this though.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I have downloaded the pdf', thank you Smile.
I will buy the book when I moved to my new location.
Thanks for your help.

With kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cold Weather Gear CromForge207 1 1,248 07-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Personality, while in gear. john k. 3 1,840 11-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Pyrgopolynices