Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield
(10-20-2020, 07:49 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: ..............................
Why would anyone bother wearing segmentata if they could afford mail? Segmentata was peasant armour;................................

It's somewhat off the original topic; but I have never before seen this interpretation!  Is it a commonly held belief?

Good mail can take a serious amount of time to make, but is otherwise relatively 'simple' to maintain and, if properly looked after, can last a very long time.  Following damage, rings can be replaced; patches can be provided and trimmed to shape before integration; and rents can temporarily be closed even with just leather thongs.  It has the virtue of being more flexible, but this is also a disadvantage when subject to major blunt, or bladed, force trauma, because whilst the armour may flex and, indeed, not overtly show much damage, the transmitted damage to the body can be extreme.

If the 'elite' Roman legions (mostly in the West as I noted above) and indeed the Praetorian Guard wore Segmentata for the relatively limited period ('High Empire'?) that the Romans' Arms factories could produce it; whilst Auxiliary troops were clad in mail (they being much lower paid) - then I seriously have to query the idea?

Is not the production of rolled lamellar steel plate not considered a higher technology process?  Certainly it can prove to be a 'better' armour against certain weapon types...

Messages In This Thread
RE: How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield - by Mark Hygate - 10-22-2020, 07:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany Simplex 274 78,278 09-14-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 258 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Did Romans bury soldiers in armor or save the armor mrmovieprop 10 3,122 10-25-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Crispvs