Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parthica Legion - Caduceus emblem?
(04-28-2018, 03:12 PM)Marcus Asprenas Fidelus Wrote: What I meant was our knowledge about late roman army standarts is quite miserabel. Thies focus on the draco-standart based only on our material (depictions and a one artefact from Niederbieber) as you may know. 

I don´t believe on gate-pilasters for the Lepontius stone. Please correct me but all 6 or 7 late roman tombe stones looking all quite familiar. We have a similar style, the same armament beside little differences. 

There is a little late roman decorative stele from Aquileia without a inscription but with a depiction of a solider (armed with shield and spear). I would suppose for this object could be a possibility for a gate-pillaster of a entrance. 

I agree about what we have in metal and stone, but there are a number of written sources discussing draconarii, vexellarii and even a 6th aquilifer. On those grounds alone I would not exclude a cockerel functioning as a military standard, but the likelyhood of it is small. So far, the identification has been made as 'an animal on a stick next to a soldier - ergo a military standard'.

There are a number of late Roman funerary monuments, but I'm not aware they all look the same? There's one with a guy holding a horse next to him (Flavius Augustales?), there's one riding a horse carrying an axe (Gamzigrad)..
You can of course dismiss the option of Lepontius being some sort of gate decoration (or something of that nature), but - again - the identification so far has been a but haphazard.
'It's a soldier on a stone with a name above it - ergo a tombstone'. I am keeping my options open for this one.

I'm not sure which Aquileia stone you're referring to, but this is the one from Lentia/Linz (Austria) (attached).

PS - remember to add your real name. Either as username or in your signature - it's a forum rule!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parthica Legion - Caduceus emblem? - by Robert Vermaat - 05-01-2018, 01:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aurelius Moucianus (legio II Parthica) jkaler48 6 2,229 12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Info. on Legio II Parthica Commilito 13 4,209 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat