Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the Praetorians
During Republican times, it was customary for generals to have their own Praetorians.

Does anyone know when the Praetorians became exclusive to the emperor, as it were?
(I'm talking in particular about the years AD 9 -16. Would Germanicus or other generals in Germany have had their own Praetorians?)

Thanks, all.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Yes, but they were not called praetorians. However, they guarded the praetorium, and more. A Roman Legatus Augusti pro praetore had about 500-1000 Equites et pedites Singulares, which were used as his bodyguards and most probably also to support his staff and clerks in every way. Also a proconsul of a senatorial province had such Singulares composed from detachements of the few cohorts in his province. Even a procurator had Singulares usually lent from the legions. There are hints, that even a Legatus legionis could have Singulares.

Germanicus was a special case. As heir of the emperor he was accompanied by 3 (or 4?) of the 9 praetorian cohorts of Rome, when he moved to Gallia.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - I knew that legates etc had bodyguards, but I wanted to know if they were Praetorians in the early imperial period. You solved my query, however, with your in-depth answer. Thank you, Frank!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Antony had several Praetorian cohorts with him at Actium. He even commemorated them on coinage.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery...pos=-69822
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Jay
the pretorian cohors of the Imperatores were something quite different than the Pretorian Guard of the Empire. So Antony's Pretorians would mean something different that later meaning

Each commander had own guard , Caesar had some Germanic riders e.g. as all commanders acted as pro praetors or pro consuls (hence the guard was "pretorian"). Augustus needed army in Rome, or nearby so he created the Pretorian Guard.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Yes of course you're right but the Imperial Praetorians derived from the Imperatorial ones. As you know "Praetorium" is a commander's tent. Antony had Praetorians and Seculatores who were honored with their own coinage. After Octavian won at Actium he reorganized the army and made his permanent Praetorians. I believe the first Praetorian prefects were appointed in 2 BC.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Knowing this is an old thread, if are still seeking some information and you would like a good, easy read, on the background of the Praetorians try The Praetorian Guard by Boris Rankov, Richard Hook
Troy
Aquilae I
"Murum aries attigit"