Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does Pax Romana mean?
Pax Romana to my mind is more akin to the situation, starting in the late 19th century, interrupted by world wars, and going on today, referred to as globalization. Many of the same concepts hold: common laws, coinage, roads, transport, contracts, administration, measurement & weights, not to mention order. The pursuit of this commonality and the social benefits it achieved are similar to today.<br>
Did the Romans pursue this as a strategic policy or not over all that time? I would say no. The trend to globalization is a consensus (sp?) of efficiency based on answers to problems that are common and recurring trends throughout history. Such trends don't have owners, which is the real dilemna. No one to fight against if you don't like them: it's hard for most people to conceive that such large trends just happen.<br>
I think that's exactly what happened in Roman times. There was a critical mass of commerce and potential that the empire brought together that triggered this.<br>
If you've read the "Lexus and the Olive Tree" you'll catch this balance of local/global needs being satisfied. The Romans may have achieved this balance by permitting local government while insisting on overall control and standards.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
What does Pax Romana mean? - by Anonymous - 01-19-2001, 05:25 AM
Pax Romana - by Matthew Amt - 01-19-2001, 03:31 PM
Semantics of peace - by JRSCline - 01-19-2001, 05:42 PM
Re: Semantics of peace: globalization - by richard - 02-07-2001, 03:29 AM