Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flavian Era military boot or Caligae.....
Quote:made from 2mm thick white veg tanned cow with the grain removed....

Now you got me curious - what kind of veg tanning produces white leather? Where did you buy that from if I may ask?
Very nice shoes again!
Martin I believe its Rhubarb tanned, it came from a leather working friend..... its not pure white as such more a cream and looks a bit like buff although its not oily... had it for some time and was wondering what to do with it..... originally it was a Whole cow hide about 2mm thick mostly I was thinking of linings for various items but thought I'd give it a go on some shoe uppers, the red Southfleet with white straps I posted previously is the same hide with the grain still on...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:@ Martin, I think white is impossible only by tanning, but very light cream tones are

White is not possible through veg teanning AFAIK. It is possible by alum tawing, which isn't tanning in the strict sense, and of course with modern tanning which combines the tanning and dyeing process.
For the white you get with alum tawing see e.g. the Gommern belt I made some years ago: http://sutor.jimdo.com/3rd-century-ad/gommern-belt/
Quote:Martin I believe its Rhubarb tanned, it came from a leather working friend..... its not pure white as such more a cream and looks a bit like buff although its not oily

Ah, interesting! I had seen rhubarb tanning mentioned somewhere once but have never actually seen or handled such leather. Thanks for the info!