Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conference in Meerut
I would like to know what items are to be developed further? Deepeeka has such a wide range of roman products that it is impossible to cover all of them. I would like to see better shaped helmet bowls and more strong tangs on the swords, but that`s just a general approach. Any ideas how to be more "focused" in this respect?

Of course I would like to see more authentic late roman helmets, now none of them are now acceptable in my opinion. The imperial gallic type helmets are in my opinion the most authentic products Deepeeka has, if they just had more oval bowls...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Matt, I think that is an unfair generalisation. Many on RAT strive to be helpfull, both to newbie's and makers. Some members have made excellent drawings available to all, there have been a truckload of helpfull comments throughout the many years I have been privy to this forum. In fact, I have treasured the input over the years to improve my own work. The Handbook for Legionairs (available to all and Made in the USA) is a true treasure trove for those starting out and advanced in this hobby, as have been a good many threads. But often as not, this advice and input has been totaly disregarded, so this leads to frustration of those offering help and advise based on good sources and research. In the end, you just give up.

Deepeeka has consistantly continued to put glaringly wrong swords on the market, despite all the comments and advise over the years, a Deepeeka sword has become the equivelant for a pointheavy sword shaped slab of iron with a lousy grip and crudely made hardwood hiltpieces. The scabbard fittings also left much room for improvement. I am not saying NO progress has been made, but it has been slow and often as not only small tweeks of something which would need a serious revamp to conform to the archeological record. This is not being elitist, it is trying to state the facts as I see them.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Re-enactment is all things to all people, for some its LARP for others its an attempt to recreate elements of the past and wanders into experimental archaeology... and everything in between... different people enjoy different aspects..... and this is good.

Diversity is all important to growth and being prepared to do the Research Integral and an ongoing thing, not something that's simply static or an expense to be avoided or deferred if possible... things grow and develop and this is good...

There is no standard that you can possibly claim is 100% accurate as there will be always be room to grow and learn new things... and this is good...

Cheap mass produced equipment is in effect the antithesis of high quality individual reconstructions.. that's simply the way it is and always has been.... however there is such a thing as an acceptable standard but this will differ between groups, individuals and producers... and invariably relies on the research, but after all not everything produced in the past was a work of art, so there is plenty of room for different standards and quality... beauty or ugliness....

Rat Approval To the point...
Before you could even invent such a thing as Rat approval you have too come up with some kind of standard to base it on, that's agreed on by the members of the Rat forum... for each and every item....
Perhaps an item could be presented by a producer or sponsor and approved or declined based on its Merits or lack off, this should preferably be done with a physical object that can handled.....

Theoretically anyone applying (Producer or Sponsor) by presenting an item meeting the Approval Standard, should get Rat approval Whoever they are... that's going to be quite a list for Items and producers, but who's going to control it? after all there is no guarantee that a producer would continue to meet the approval standards after its been granted... and don't forget this is an unpaid service...

As to the offer I would like to visit India but I'm not actually interested in having a set of Roman military kit and April unfortunately is not a good time..... better in the autumn... however the minimum I would expect would be full expenses paid... as at the very least it would require a good deal of research and probably expense as well before hand..... would also need a list of items to be worked on of course ...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
To aid us all, I have created a form, which I request you to submit. Even if you do not want to visit at all, it would be nice to receive a response. Please feel free to write whatever you want here- it is not visible to other members.

My views about visit India

Best Regards

Gagan
Matt, I have to protest with Robert. I've been with RAT since Jenny started it, and never felt those kinds of things. For beginners, there is the continuing problem of indexing the threads, now a bit better than when it started but still difficult for anyone who is not aware of the names of things. (E.G., the name for the stick that reams out the inside of wax rings to size them properly). Frustration with newcomers occurs everywhere, even on FAR.

RAT members, I think Adrian Wink, prepared CAD drawing of helmets at one point. Since everyone is an expert, the only thing we could agree upon in community is 1) what is an original, 2) what the format of the representation of the original could be, and 3) resolving problems with the representation based on demonstrable errors.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:RAT members, I think Adrian Wink, prepared CAD drawing of helmets at one point.
Those were made by Aitor Iriarte (also long gone to WWII). Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I first visited Deepeeka on a similar offer to this, assistance with new products, expenses covered by stock. Obviously it worked out very well. The Agerwal family are excellent hosts, hotels are decent and the food is good. Deepeeka clearly wants to improve their products and seek help from a number of sources, including RAT cut 'em some slack. It is a generous offer. And while you are here, visit a few of the other makers, THAT will be very enlightening.
Till date, only 3 replies. This is not going very far.

Until and unless people are willing to take time and come over and do help make things, it is really not possible to get perfection from a distance.

I really urge people to come forward for this effort, so next year 2016 sees the best of Roman equipment out there as required as desired by the modern Roman enthusiast.

As I said, I have access to a 3D printe, so 3d drawings also welcome to make things happen.

To aid us all, I have created a form, which I request you to submit. Even if you do not want to visit at all, it would be nice to receive a response. Please feel free to write whatever you want here- it is not visible to other members.

My views about visit India

Best Regards

Gagan
Sent.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sent.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I'm waiting for a baby, so i can't go... :-) FORM SENT.
Th way things stand- a lot of people have shown interest in coming on board fro Deepeeka advisory group for Roman weapons. This is quite nice to know. So, far some of shown interest in coming to India.

The way things appear, we can do this in October 2015.

If anyone else is interested, please fill the form already posted on the forum earlier.

Regards

Gagan
I would say it is a must to have Christian MiksĀ“ book on roman swords if someone is giving consultation about gladiuses, spathas etc. It contains more or less every roman sword find to date, with pictures, measurements, dating and historical context. If someone is genuinely interested in roman swords the price is not an hindrance.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
what book is this ? Can you give me the name ?

gagan
Quote:what book is this ? Can you give me the name ?

gagan

http://www.vml.de/d/detail.php?ISBN=978-3-89646-136-0
ALA I BATAVORUM