Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalera constructions
Hi Guys

I am in the process of designing a new phalera with the help of Rado. What I am confused about is how these individual plates were mounted on the leather. Right now, we have used screws as in the past. Please help. I can agree that this is normally acceptable, since our purpose has been to be seen from a few feet away, where it does not show the back at all, but any inputs in this regard, would be helpful.

Gagan
Hey guys, is this one legit? Different pictures show the back to be as a pin.

http://101antiquesword.com/Ancient-Roman...Century-AD

Regards, Sam.
Samuel J.
There seems to be a problem in loading this page- It has been blocked.
Sam, the piece you have posted is not roman, or at least not a phalera.
As Cesar has pointed out that is indeed not a phalera but here is a picture that shows the Lauersfort Phalerae, with also a picture of the reverse that shows three rings to hold the pieces onto the leather harness.
The rings went through slots in the leather and were held by split pins here is a picture of one of a set of the Lauersfort that I am currently making, it shows how I have fitted the plates with holes for split pins.
The metal at the edge of the disc is the very thin metal of the phalera that is hand made as were the originals.
[attachment=11407]Bs-GKQBGkKGrHqQH-CoEvEWnjeLFBL6BozdDQ_1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11408]Picture155.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
This is a link to Val Maxfield's book on Roman military decorations. See the illustrations on pp. 93 & 94.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Nuex...ns&f=false
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
My apologies I stand corrected. "SOLD Ancient Roman Silver Military Armour Phalera with Marcus Aurelius 2nd Century AD" turned out to be a total lie! Fooled me! :x

Thanks for the pictures of the originals.

Regards, Sam.
Samuel J.
These pins look like a great idea- only it seems to make tge leather belts in the back very wide. Also, i assume you need to pass rivets thru them to hold on to the leather.

We wa nt to make our models in a way that you can interchange disks.

Any suggestions.

Gagan
Why not sell them individually without the leather harness?
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Jay

I would love to do that- but as you are aware our model is built around manufacturing- wholesale. I cannot retail one piece by one piece. We are not geared up for that. It will be upto retailers and distributors to do that.

Gagan
Well you could sell all the phalerae together in a set and then let people arrange them as they like on their own harness.
Regards, Jason
Jason

As I said, that is for the dealers to decide.

Gagan
Quote:These pins look like a great idea- only it seems to make tge leather belts in the back very wide. Also, i assume you need to pass rivets thru them to hold on to the leather.

We wa nt to make our models in a way that you can interchange disks.

Any suggestions.

Gagan
If you look at the illustrations in Val Maxfield's book (see my post above), you will see that the straps are quite narrow and that the discs are held to them by split pins through the loops at the back. This would make the discs easily interchangeable.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Here is a picture of the Lauersfort Phalerae that I am currently making and these are the only ones to be found made in the true and authentic fashion as the originals were done.
The earlier picture I posted shows how the hand made picture is wrapped onto the back plate.

[attachment=11429]Picture139.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Where Valerie Maxfield refers to the Lauersfort pieces she claims that the name scratched onto each of the back plates Medamii as being a second owner of these phalerae, this is not so for very like the other set of back plates found at Trmontium each plate there has a name on it Domitii Aticii which is very clearly the makers of the pieces in both cases.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phalera polychromate ??? agrimensor 11 2,289 09-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Medusa phalera from Austria Marcus Mummius 0 1,242 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius