Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic H won\'t fit proper
Salve all,
Back in November after Castra romana I bought a Gallic H. The helmet is deepeeka but the son of a gun just doesn't fit right. I kind of have to wear it tilted upwards, since if I wear it properly it just sits on my brow ridge and smushes my forehead down.

Does anyone have any idea as how to fix it to where it will fit a human head? I don't want to break it.

Thanks,
Minimus

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do you wear it with a liner?
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
A liner usually helps some, but the fact of the matter is that it's a circular bowl. It just doesn't fit right.
With a standard liner it won't fit at all.
You might try the helmet liner system for an U.S. Army Kevlar helmet.

Petrus Augustinus
(Pierre Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus
I would not recommend that. I do not think Legio XI would approve of a modern helmet liner... Some Roman helmets had adjustable leather liners. Maybe you should try one of those. All it takes is four pieces of leather, some glue, and a cord to tie it with. They are accurate alternatives to a Kevlar helmet liner.
Regards, Jason
Quote:Some Roman helmets had adjustable leather liners . . .All it takes is four pieces of leather, some glue, and a cord to tie it with. They are accurate alternatives
Where do you get that from?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
If the helmet is too short a liner wont help, sell it or if its new return it to the supplier as "not suitable for purpose".... for a replacement that does fit... alternatively get a custom made to fit one....

Altering the helmet might work to some degree but will likely never be entirely satisfactory, about the only thing you could actual do(and I take it you have no experience at this kind of metal work) is squeeze the helmet on the sides a bit this may relieve the pressure on your forehead... in short though a helmet should be made to fit with a suitable thickness of lining.....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Yes, Ivor is right. I have "re-sized" several Deepeeka helmets like this, just squashing the bowls by putting all my weight on top of the helmet side, the other side leaning at a corner of a wooden block or chair. Just remember to remove the brow guard first, it might snap because it seem it is made of cast iron. In addition you might bend the hinges of the cheek guard (also from the bowl) inwards, so they will follow human face more naturally, make the helmet more fitting and diminish that silly bulbous look. Wink

I think Deepeeka should make their gallic-type roman helmets with inside measurements of 18 x 22 cm (now they are guite round, about 19,5 x 21 cm). Why is that? Because it is much more easy to "sguash" some extra room to the sides of the helmet by pressing it lengthwise without ruining the overall look of the helmet..
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Noah.
There is a liner that can be used that can be made from very thin leather that might help a bit and here is a picture of it where the helmet bowl can be raised or lowered to help make a better fit, this is simply four pieces that are glued to the edges of the bowl in the directions shown in the drawing. With adjustment of the lace in the centre of this liner the bowl can be raised or lowered.
However having said that the only other realistic way that this problem can be sorted once and for all is to find someone who has the skill to remove the reinforce and cheek plates and beat out the forward area of the bowl to make it into the correct shape for it sounds like you have a round spun bowl and these type do tend to give this problem.
[attachment=11676]img002.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Curiously I bought two Deepeeka helmets last year, the Gallic A "N" version and the Imperial Gallic B weisenau and both fit my size 8 head really well. Very ovoid.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Good to know, Richard!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
No, knowing Edge he would NOT approve of a modern helmet liner.

Buy a Pannonian cap and wear that. Much thinner than the deepeeka cotton helmet liners, but adds some material to your head so the helmet stays on.

http://www.lawrensnest.com/ez-catalog/X385623/18/RR4012

A Phrygian cap would be even more historically accurate, but nobody sells those.
Noah,

We can try something like I have in my helmet. It's just a series of felt and linen pads arranged to suspend the helmet over the head. These are glued in at various and arranged for comfort. We can substitute strips of leather where fully padded pieces won't fit.

If you can make it to the workshop, we'll see what we can do.

[attachment=11679]image.jpg[/attachment]

CASSIVS ANTONIVS CRISPVS
aka Chris Stewart
[Image: 43ef68_2f6cc79f005f46bc8d9f47d13dd81201~mv2.png]
OPTIO - LEGIO XI CLAVDIA PIA FIDELIS
http://www.11thlegion.net
Quote:There is a liner that can be used that can be made from very thin leather that might help a bit and here is a picture of it where the helmet bowl can be raised or lowered to help make a better fit, this is simply four pieces that are glued to the edges of the bowl in the directions shown in the drawing. With adjustment of the lace in the centre of this liner the bowl can be raised or lowered.
This is obviously a practical solution to the problem and I know that some re-enactors have used it but is there archaeological evidence for it?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)