Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plastic vases in the shape of helmeted warriors?
Hello everybody,
I am wondering if anyone here knows the purpose & significance of plastic vases or terracotta in the shape of helmeted head of warriors? what do they symbolize in tombs & temples in Greece in archaic period ?

thanks in advance Confusedmile:
Hello and welcome!
I have no idea what they might symbolize, if anything specific, because arybaloi in the shape of many things were quite common, foot-like, animal-like, fruit-like, in the form of shells etc.
The only thing i have noticed is that usually they take the form of chalkidean helmets, and some times corinthian ones, but usually without nose guard. They almost always have an artificially broad forehead, where there are floral designs. They use red/purple and black colour together with the bear clay.
I admit though that i have not conducted a thorough research about them, and these are just my observations every time I see one.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
thanks for your replay, i am prepering my master about plastic vases and the helmeted include in it but i found few books talked about symbolize of this vases in breif , maximovia said about helmeted and foot vases it is abbrivation of the dead but many argue that and hauezy said this vases Provided by egyptain to warrior because they afraid from them and some said that it is used in Propitiatory rites without any detalis but i cant found any books also talk about Propitiatory rites and why presented to warrior ? do you have any idea about that
Unfortunately I don't have any idea about it. Foot shaped ones always wear sandals, which could be a link to Hermes Psychopombos, who guides the souls to the afterlife, but never has it happened that one of these sandals were winged, and Hermes has other stronger symbols, although he isn't always shown with winged sandals.
There are also many arybaloi in the form of Harpies, with bird's body and woman's head, so possibly used as apotropaic symbols.
One cannot rule out however that the helmeted arybaloi were used by soldiers just because they were beautiful and martial.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  negro helmet in plastic vases ? help me please drreham 5 1,871 03-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Last Post: KrimzonKnight