Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets
Phil, since we really do not know each other, I would choose my words more carefully before calling my opinion absurd. The only thing absurd with all do respect, is your statement about what I said. Try reading it again carefully. I did not say absolutely EVERYTHING was punched out nor that I am correct and everyone else is wrong. In fact, you have not provided evidence to suggest what you think either. Of course repousse was used but in my opinion not repetitive motifs such as belt plates or sword scabbards. Just as Brian mentioned and I also did in my post, things were possibly worked both ways.

Here is a piece of evidence although its OT so please excuse me: ...There was a die set found for the belt plates with the motif of animals running around in a circle (B&C2). In fact, its a rather common motif just like the Lupercale, Emperor/Cornucopia, concentric circles, which in my opinion were most likely punched. If the ornate belt plates you mention, Phil, were punched out according to you......without question.....then why would less ornate plates be made in repousse?

Anyway, back on topic since it about scabbards. No Phil, I have not tried repousse just yet BUT I do not need to try it to know what metals can be worked more easily than others. I am a chemist and know metals quite well and how they behave. I also do make certain pieces of armor myself so I am aware of what you are talking about.

With respect to the Vindonissa scabbard, the top plate with the man kneeling down and the two shields on either side, is NOT unique. There are other loose motifs exactly like that one. So punching out the decoration is not unlikely. Could it be repousse.......I guess so.....there is no reason to say impossible but to me unlikely.

For what its worth and I am not using this as evidence but Matt Lukes has done extensive studies on Roman belt plates and sword scabbards and he is of the same opinion as I am mainly that the main decoration is punched out and then worked over pitch to make it clean. Certainly, I do not believe that something was just punched and mounted onto a sword scabbard or elsewhere.

Brian, I agree that to have one single punch for an entire section of a sword scabbard is unlikely. What I do believe for instance when looking at the Fulham for instance, is that the main raised figures could have come from punches and then minor details or finer details were later added using repousse. From the Tiberius Sword, I think the figures were punched in but them some of the clothing and finer aspects were added via repousse.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,214 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Repousse Pompeii lockets images? brennivs - tony drake 1 891 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,073 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70