Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets
Doc,
I too have very high resolution images of the both of these scabbards, in fact I recently commissioned the BM to photograph the Tiberius scabbard. It is very possible and likely that these lockets were punched, but it is equally possible to get very fine repousse' into silver sheet....have you attempted it? The metal used on both the Fulham and Tiberius lockets is very thin, not thick as you suggested punched plates were. Of course there are probably other examples of thicker gauge sheet used, but in these two examples the metal sheet is very thin. I have reproduced the Fulham lockets in repousse' and the end result was very close to the original. I will be attempting the Tiberius lockets, but time will tell how close I can get to the original as they are extremely detailed. This is where a die would be best suited for sure.

When I look at the Vindonissa scabbard, if that is punched then it was a very ordinary die set that was crafted, as the decorations to me suggest that it is pure and simple repousse' and chasing. Yes it could have been punched, but equally it could have been repousse'. It is a bold statement you make that belt and scabbard plates were not done in repousse', only punched....that is completely absurd and only your opinion.

The Herculaneum/Stabia belt plates are certainly punched, as I have extremely high resolution images of these, both front and back. There is no question about that, though they do have backing plates in which the decorative plates were attached to, and the silver sheet used is again thin.
The Mougins pugio scabbard lockets which my friend and I reproduced, again there is no doubt in my mind that the locket decorations were repousse' not punched. No I can't be 100% sure, but the same goes for you stating that they would have been punched rather than hand worked.
Look at the pressblech decoration method used on Viking and Anglo Saxon helmets etc. The sheet metal or rather foil is extremely thin. Yes they are all punched but my point is that the metal doesn't have to be a thick guage even when embossing with dies.

Brian has many years of experience with repousse' as you know, so I for one value his opinion and expertise enormously, and am grateful for the knowledge he has passed onto myself and many others on RAT.

By the way Brian and Martin those pieces you shared are truly wonderful....well done.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com

Messages In This Thread
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Marcellus - 06-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Repousse~ Scabbard Plates and Lockets - by Doc - 06-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,213 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Repousse Pompeii lockets images? brennivs - tony drake 1 891 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,072 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70