Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fulham sword reproduction
Well finally my mate Jimmy and I have finished this Fulham sword reproduction. Some information about the makeup of this piece.
The pommel, guard and the rear of the scabbard is Walnut. The grip is Holly wood, whilst the front of the scabbard is African ebony. The decor' plates are sterling silver and the edging and hangers are brass. Note, the edging like the original is made of one piece.
The blade is polished mild steel.
We decided to leave the scabbard in nice timber, rather than cover it with leather....a look we personally preferred.
Once again I would like to thank my very good friend Brian Stobbs for his mentoring and advice along the way. Jimmy and I a very happy with the final result and are looking forward to our next project....the sword of Tiberius.
This sword is for sale, and if anyone is interested they can private message me please.

[attachment=8251]Fulhamreconstruction1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8252]Fulhamreconstruction2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8253]Fulhamreconstruction3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8254]Fulhamreconstruction4.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Once again... Absolutely Beautiful Work!!!

I love the look of Black Walnut. I like the fact that you left the scabbard without the leather. THe contrasts between the wood, the brass and the sterling silver is astounding!

Great Job Guys!!!
Phil.
I have to thank you for the compliments again however this time I think that the compliments should indeed go to both Jimmy and yourself for this is a most beautiful piece of workmanship indeed just fantastic.
Brian Stobbs
Nice peice!

However, I thoguht the Romans didn't use walnut?
? Why wouldn't they?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
As far as I know there have been no finds of Walnut used with Romans swords. Robert probably could expand upon wood used.
simply breath taking. If I wasn't a poor soldier i'd buy this instantly.
David C
It is indeed splendid!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Oh no, on a scabbard it could well be perfectly fitting! We have no data on hiltpieces being made with walnut, that's true. But it does go nicely with the scabbard :-) . The repousse work on those decorplates is really stunning quality !!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks for the correction Robert. It is indeed a beautiful sword!
What type of wood is the guard and pommel on this sword?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very nice sword indeed! It seems that the blade doesn´t have a diamond cross-section or is it just a reflection?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Virilis
The blade of the Fulham sword does have a diamond section however it is only the lower one third of the blade, so as you say it may be reflections that are hiding this.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thank you guys for your kind words and comments, I do appreciate them very much. Virilis, as Brian mentioned the Blade is normally in a diamond section, however with this particular blade we left it flat in the centre. We have other blades made to fit it that are a diamond section.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,754 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword mkoehler 21 5,856 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  reproduction of parazonium sword munazio planco 14 3,698 03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Tita Iuventia Martia