Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hod Hill Spatha Reconstruction
Greetings

XorX has kindly agreed to let me show you the project he is doing for me.

This will be a Hod Hill spatha and the scabbard will be produced using the finds from the Dursley Collection as a guide.

For those of you without Facebook, there are some pictures added below.

I think it's looking rather good :cheer:

[attachment=6573]521679_483444651686335_159325250_a.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6574]548284_483445698352897_191916072_n.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6575]540964_541618825868917_18104889_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
WOW
Thats not a Replica...thats going to be the real thing. Nice to see some pics Moi.
Keep them coming if you can.
Kevin
Kevin
Indeed! Watched the developmet of this piece on Facebook, didn't know it was yours! Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thanks Kevin - yup, a reconstruction in the true sense of the word!

I'm negotiating with the local butcher for some pigs carcasses to test it out on :woot:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Wasnt there a thread on that before......using Humans....moving swiftly on.
Keep us all posted, dont let the thread die, i really would like to see the finished project.
Kevin
Kevin
How and where can I see this on Facebook?
This reconstruction will hopefully be the topic of XorX's talk at the RAT Conference this year:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/1-round...=60#330215
Moi Watson

Quote:How and where can I see this on Facebook?

If you click on the word "project" it is linked to the FB page.
Moi Watson

Quote:Wasnt there a thread on that before......using Humans....moving swiftly on.
Keep us all posted, dont let the thread die, i really would like to see the finished project.
Kevin

:twisted:

Indeed...I may be calling for volunteers as a moving target from a horse would be FAR more useful for research :-P
Moi Watson

:lol:
Best of luck
Kevin
Kevin
Well,...
A real re-construction would include forging only by hand, using real welded steel, heating in a charcoal-fire run with bellows, grinding by hand with natural stones...

I´d call it a "result-optimized" replica ;-)
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Very nice, Jurgen and Moi. Moi, I'm sure you can be pretty proud with this new toy. Big Grin Having handled two other weapons made by Jurgen I can only recommend his work.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Fantastic! Nice to see a good reproduction.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'll second that!

Repros that are actually accurate are scarce birds. They're also costly. So I congratulate Moi, knowing about the out-laying of moola from personal experience. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Indeed! Congrats for sourcing a sword-smith who knows his stuff!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spatha from Aquincum (grave 2) near reconstruction leonardod 16 4,336 04-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Last Post: leonardod
  Spatha reconstruction Martin Wallgren 4 1,590 05-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Sassanid
  Reconstruction: Poetovio Spatha sheath decoration Martin Moser 0 1,570 12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser