Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Fit Issues
Hey all, recently purchased a Deepeeka Gallic H. The helmet is constructed well, no rust, no visible welds etc. I could not ask for a better Deepeeka BUT it doesn't fit my noggin. No issues with the circumference....its the length. The cheek plates do not go down to the bottom of my chin. So I'm guessing my head is to long? Perhaps the bowl is to shallow? Any thoughts? I'm guessing I will need to modify it. Or do I need to get a custom one made? I hope not as I really like the way this one looks.
I have a Gallic H from Deepeeka as well. They made the cheekguards way too short, like 5" or so. What I find useful is that when you tie the helmet, don't tie the knot all the way to your chin, so you can still comfortably open your mouth or talk.

A few people have used some sort of bead method in which you pull the leather thongs through a bead to tighten the helmet, but you'll have to ask someone else how they do it, I have no idea.

More than a few people have accused this helmet of being too round. You can remove the browguard (as it is made of cast iron and will snap if pressured) and "squish" the helmet some to make it more oval. This isn't necessary for my noggin, but a few other reenactors have suggested it.
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Here is a headshot I found of myself from last year, you can see how I knotted the ties while leaving them low

[attachment=6542]5-21-12VespaRoman050.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

-Matt
Thanks for the info. Im glad I did not get the one off that was jacked up. 8-) I was looking at the hinge part...I may be able to construct some hinged segments to lengthen it.....kind of like a modern watch band....remover or add links.

Does any one know of any Deepeeka helms that are similar period to the Gallic H but do not have this issue? I love the looks of this helm.
Yes, from your pic, your helm fits like mine. I have mine with a Centurion crest.
The Deepeeka Gallic G may be a better fit, it is an almost identical helmet, in fact I would argue that the Gallic H is just another Gallic G, but with a slightly sloped neckguard. I'm not sure of the cheekguard size, but I believe it is larger. Unfortunately, neither pictures in this link show the Gallic G, the top one appears to be a Gallic H and the last one, the old Gallic G from Deepeeka.

The Gallic G is one of Deepeeka's most popular helms, so I imagine plenty of RAT members can help you out with exact sizes.

http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id147.html

-Matt
Yes I see the difference. Also a very nice helm. I spoke to my smith that does my 15th cent armor and he liked the idea of the "hinged link". I think that will be a good remedy to this issue. Looking at many of the hit or miss issues with Deepeeka....I believe I should try to tweak the rather then send it back.

Ill post a pic of the fix when I get it back. It may help a few others with the issue.
Quote:Or do I need to get a custom one made? I hope not as I really like the way this one looks.

Or just get replacement cheeckpieces made.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:A few people have used some sort of bead method in which you pull the leather thongs through a bead to tighten the helmet, but you'll have to ask someone else how they do it, I have no idea.

I don't have any more clear pics right now, but hope this shows the method. Instead of making a knot into the two leather cords, you put them through a nice and fancy bead or toggle. By sliding the bead towards the helmet is should be kept closed by means of friction.
This method is based on such a toggle fou.nd inside the Imperial gallic D helmet from Mainz.

[Image: IMG_5011.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
I am envious of your Gallic D Jurjen, was that bead made specifically for that or did you just find one randomly that fit the bill?

-Matt
Quote:Or just get replacement cheeckpieces made.

Honestly Guy, just get new cheek pieces made before you go through all the trouble of getting a link fitted. The Gallic H from Deepeeka blindly followed Robinson's reconstruction of the helmet, and while this helmet is from Augsburg Germany, he used Colchester cheek pieces, and they were incomplete as well.

Several Gallic G helmets have been found (and as I mentioned previously) the Gallic H is basically a G with a more sloped neckguard. It is based off a single example that was in very poor condition. Unfortunately the helmet database is still down (and I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever be back online) or I would suggest checking out other cheekpieces, but it might be fun to make one yourself from cardboard and show it to you smith friend.

You have knight armor do you? Pictures?

-Matt
Quote:I am envious of your Gallic D Jurjen, was that bead made specifically for that or did you just find one randomly that fit the bill?

No, its just a ramdonly chosen bead from an well known UK vendor that I liked. I've a wooden toglle as has been found also, but that one is currently being used on my imp. gal. F helmet.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Sorry for the digression, but that is a beautiful helmet Jvrjenivs. May I ask where it comes from?
Olivier
Quote:Sorry for the digression, but that is a beautiful helmet Jvrjenivs. May I ask where it comes from?

As for the original: it is from Mainz, germany, lost in WW2, unfortunatelly.
As for this repro: from my workshop. Made it myself.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I have to say Jurjen's helmet has the best proportions I have ever seen on a reproduction gallic type helmet, including the biggest "names" of the custom helmet making industry. The bowl shape is good, the angle and shape of the cheek pieces are good and as a result the helmet encloses the face of the wearer perfectly. I know there was a wide variety of shapes in roman helmets but there were some with good proportions too.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]