Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Product Info: Mainz Gladius
Ok all. This is a follow-up to a post I made yesterday. Robert suggested that before I order my gladius, that I ask the RAT for suggestions about manufacturers for a decent Mainz gladius at a reasonable price. So with that said, what do you guys (or gals,) suggest?
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
As you're US based the best blades and scabbards are comming from Matt Lukes in Canada. Of course what you get is what you pay for, but his prices are certainly reasonable.
Mark Morrow also makes excellent blades. Check Matt Amts website for some refs.

As for a cheaper option you could ask Rvsticus Signifer (Facebook)/Munanzio Planco (RAT) from Rome to do you a sword. I've a couple of items made by him and they're excellent.

As for the best: A blade by Jurgen Grassler (on RAT) or Martin Becker with scabbard made by Luc de Vos. But then you're going to pay two times as much as you pay Matt Lukes for a wonderfull item, at least.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen,

Do you have any contact information for Jurgen Grassler, Martin Becker or Luc de Vos outside or RAT. I would like to see some of their work.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hi Doc,
They all have a RAT account. I'm not sure when Luc de Vos was online last, and as far as I know he hasn't got a website.

Jurgen: http://www.schorsch-der-schmied.de/
Martin: http://www.roemische-schmiede.de/
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hello Jurjen,

Thank you for the information
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I have a Mainz Gladius I might consider selling. It is the Deepeeka 2005 Mainz Gladius. Brand spanking new! I have only touched it like three times and pulled it from its scabbard equally. I have change up on my Impressions from an Optio to an Officer so I am in the market for a Spatha to turn into a Parazonium. Message me if you are interested.
@ Patrick Ehh, why bother converting a spatha into a parazonium? You would have to convert the whole thing. Can't you just get a blade made (I believe a parazonium to be a long dagger) and take it from there?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks Robert... I have historical resources for two different blades. One Dagger and one Sword that are considered to be Parazoniums. And also, I have no problem with an officer having a Mainz or a Pompeii... I just want to customize and personalize a few things for my Impression.
Yeah, there is very little evidence on parazoniums, except in sculpure. Best check those to make sure sword and dagger could be combined. It would seem a logical and very striking combination IMHO.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Humbly accepted :-) Your opinion...

From what I know they are the only ones that have been un earthed in existence.
Robert, how would I get a hold of Matt Lukes?
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
Quote:Robert, how would I get a hold of Matt Lukes?

He is member of this board, so you can send him a PM. His website can be found here:
http://fabricaromanorum.shawwebspace.ca/
I've his email also, but will not post it on here. If you need it, give me a PM.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Actually, Miks shows a good variety of "non-pugio" daggers. Blades are about 30 to 40 cm. The term parazonium is not used, but that does not mean they were not used as such. It also shows short swords he classes as spatha with blades no longer then 45 cm.

@Patrick you may also want to consider Matt for doing you a dagger blade. With some creativity, all the other pieces could be made by yourself :-)
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Where can I find Miks ?
Quote:Where can I find Miks ?

http://www.vml.de/e/inhalt.php?ISBN=978-3-89646-136-0
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius from Mainz Rado 52 14,601 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Rado