Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iron rings of citizenship
I've read that Roman citizens wore iron rings; that Equestrians also wore narrow gold rings and senators wore broad gold rings (both wearing the gold rings with the iron rings). Is this information correct? Did this tradition only exist during the Republic? Or did it last into the imperial period? If so how long?
Thanks,
Jeff
I've also read that Hannibal sent tens of thousands of iron rings of the Roman citizens killed at Cannae. Is Livy the source of this.
Let’s see what I can find in Livy. I believe this refers to the disaster at the Caudine Forks.

Quote: On the report of their being surrounded, a levy of men was begun; but when it was understood that the army had surrendered in so disgraceful a manner, the preparations were laid aside; and immediately, without any public directions, a general mourning took place, with all the various demonstrations of grief. The shops were shut; and all business ceased in the forum, spontaneously, before it was proclaimed. Laticlaves [1] and gold rings were laid aside…

Footnote 1: In the original, lati clavi. The latus clavus was a tunic, or vest, ornamented with a broad stripe of purple on the fore part, worn by the senators; the knights wore a similar one, only ornamented with a narrower stripe. Gold rings were also used as badges of distinction, the common people wore iron ones.

Livy IX.7

I think Pliny could be more useful. He tells the story of Hannibal you are talking about, and much more. In fact, he has such good information that I can’t decide what to post and what to leave out.

Take a look at his Natural History Book XXXIII.

Chapter 6 is particularly good, because it is about the right to wear rings.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com