Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword
OK, I'm going to try to work through that and check I have understood you properly.

I assume that the first paragraph refers to the Paul Binns sword, since that's the only La Tene that has been mentioned. I assum this despite the scorn you pour on those who have been kind enough to offer advice to me, none of whom have recommended that sword...

The first paragraph then talks about having to rework everything it comes with. I assume that you are no longer talking aout the Binns sword but now referring to the "Sparta" sword that John suggested changing. I have to say that if the blade is OK but the rest need changing then John's suggestion does seem easier than cutting and shaping a blade from scratch and making the handle etc. Still, I may try it at some point.

The bit on fullers is very helpful, thanks. If I'm looking at late Roman then I guess fullers are not a bad thing.

The bit about tempering is interesting. I certainly hadn't appreciated the distinction.

The last paragraph is where I get confused. Presumably you're saying that the Indian swords have rubbish blades as well as fittings, since there is nothing to be gained from refitting them? That seems to make sense but you then advise me to get a Deepeeka, which I had thought was Indian but am not sure whether it falls under the heading of "Indian crap" as you describe it. If so then I'm confused as to why you recommend it as a half decent sword, albeit not for hitting anything with (which I assume includes clashing against other swords?).

Then again, John suggests remodelling the handle etc on the "Sparta". You don't suggest this for the Deepeeka ones. Is that because the handles on the Deepeeka ones are adequately historical and practical?

Finally, I'm confused by the reference to a half decent sword for bouncing around the country with. Is that just because you assume that I will be bouncing around the country (whatever that means), or there some particular quality of a sword that would make it suitable for some activity with which I confess myself ignorant?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - by Dan Sawyer - 11-29-2011, 06:09 AM