Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus construction questions...
My opinion:

1) I would say anything over 0.25" would be too thick...I think yours is 3/16" which is fine. Even 1/8" is fine. Remember, it's a belt that is going to be reinforced with metal plates, so it doesn't have to be anymore than what you have. You are good to go. I tend to use 5-7 oz for mine.

2)Rivet the apron straps for the full width of the belt, not just at the top as in your picture. This way the entire belt will help take the weight of the apron strap, not just 1/4" at the top. Also, the belt plates will help prevent what you showed. All of mine are made this way, and don't have any of the problems you picture. Also, you can use a lighter weight of leather (in fact, I would recommend this) for your apron straps. The thicker the leather the more weight, and less flex to them.

3) Buckle should be on the hip. That seems to be the majority. Definately not in the back...how else would you show it off then? With the apron dominating the front, that basically leaves the sides (mine usually sit a touch to the front of my hip or so, but only by an inch at the most). Romans liked "bling"...so show yours off.

Good luck!

Legion: TBD

Messages In This Thread
Re: Balteus construction questions... - by Magnus - 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Crispvs - 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 10:06 PM