Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few items in the ROM
I thought I'd put this up.

For recreators and armourers, I was fascinated by the punches--some very small--with complete designs. I wondered if all that detail was repoussed--apparently not, it's punched.

[Image: 5967237906_12c46108c4_b.jpg]

For sword afficianados, a 200BC Hellenistic Xiphos from Aegypt that's to all intents a rapier. I see many of these--thrust only weapons...

[Image: 5967106130_b6cc901a75_b.jpg]

Finally, as further fuel for our endless debates on the dressing order and equipment of hoplites, I offer these photos of aryballoi from about 600BC, showing a regular dressing order and matching shield patterns--and aspides very obviously NOT overlapping.

[Image: 5966541081_8e47277e40_b.jpg]

[Image: 5967095040_8a01cddd1a_b.jpg]
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
As a further note--on both Arybolloi, it's obvious that every hoplite is different from the others--slightly different helmets and so on. which makes the matching shields all the more fascinating.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Looks like they are marching....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Christian - if you are using a digital camera, try turning on the "Macro" setting to make it focus properly on close-ups. The pictures are neat but they are fuzzy enough to make my eyes water! Cry
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
Christian, good to see you! I think that first blurry image is of the Egyptian god Bes, who was a favorite of greek mercenaries.

Did that last image get reversed? Otherwise the hoplites are holding the aspides on their right arms. But artists do crazy things some times.

Paul
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"