Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dacian Falx vs. Roman Helmets & Armor
[quote="Dan Howard" post=284070]Um no. Imagine a warrior in his teens. By the time anyone in these cultures entered their thirties they would be reaching the end of their ability to perform these kinds of physical chores. And this is completely irrelevant since plenty of Roman troops had similar backgrounds and were just as physically capable.[quote]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. People had a shorter life expectancy back 2000 years ago, however they by no means aged at twice the rate. Assuming that a man was not sick, diseased, or maimed, there is no reason why he could not pick up a sword and wield it at the age of 30, 35, or 45.

Roman Legionaires by the time of the Empire had to enlist for 20-25 years, That means if a man enlisting at 20 would not be discharged until he was 40-45 years old. Furthermore, I believe troops had to enlist by 40 years of age. Carrying 70lbs of equipment and supplies on long marches, including a mandatory once a month 18 mile march is no easy task.

I would post some statistics, but they always get screwed up with the infant mortality rate to be useful at a glance. Interestingly to the Greeks, the most ideal soldier was about 40 years of age.
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Messages In This Thread
Re: Dacian Falx vs. Roman Helmets & Armor - by Matt Collettivs Ave - 02-19-2011, 08:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armor and helmets of roman commanders Corvus 1 1,232 09-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Question on early Roman helmets and armor Paullus 2 1,165 10-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Paullus
  Roman Auxilliaries in Dacian Wars.... Anonymous 23 5,496 04-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Anonymous