Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos
Quote:"Wouldn't the Hoplites be able to push the Sarissa men if they got past the point?"

Its important not to sell the pelta too short. At a diameter of 65-70 cm, the bowl of the shield is not all that much smaller that the "bowl" of a small aspis if we subtract the 8-10cm of offset rim. Although we are told they should not be, many were very deep as well. Thus although I have never tested one, it is possible that they may be somewhat useful in pushing as well. I should point out though that the domed shape would primarily be for withstanding the impact of an incoming sarissa point, the depth giving the man "stand-off" distance from the penetrating point. A better shape would be more cone shaped, but then pressing into the back of filemates becomes problematic.

But if a hoplite and got within 5 feet of a rank of sarissaphoroi, othismos would be the least of their problems. At that distance the far more nimble dory would be devastating considering that the only point in front of him at that distance was being stabbed almost blind from many ranks back. In fact my guess is that it would be the sarissaphoi who would go to the sword and close first because his only other options would be whipping him with the shaft of his sarissa to perhaps tangle the dory or grabbing one of the sarissa behind him and helping to guide it.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pushing from Classical Sources - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Re: Responding to your questions - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Re: Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos - by PMBardunias - 10-13-2010, 03:39 AM