Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos
The various theories regarding othismos have been debated extensively by all of us in various threads but all new discussions are always interesting. I am not a proponent of the crowd-theory, although some of its aspects are intriguing and could be adopted to fit in with other theories. My objection (or better my criticism) to all theories suggested or tried is that we are always concerning ourselves with what happens with single files, how to exert maximum force, fight and push, etc. This leads to wrong conclusions. We always have to keep in mind that the phalanx operated in ranks. The question is not how to push the man in front of you as far as possible but to do so while keeping your ranks, the cohesion among the protostates. Any theory that does not provide a sufficient answer as to how the phalanx keeps ranks while performing the othismos is inherently flawed. Maximum force should not be the goal, for it usually forces any file (of reenactors) to push blindly and not allow for their frontman to control when the force exerted should decrease or increase. My advice to you guys (as I am a reenactor myself) would be to try to test any theories you have in mind along at least three files. I know that it is difficult to find 6 files x at least 3 men deep = at least 18 reenactors, but this is what you need in order to be able to also test how your pushing affects the line. Try it out with two ranks and you will come to some conclusions, albeit less secure. A big man myself, once I charged against the enemy line. I pushed the man in front of me easily some 2-3 yards back, but suddenly I realized I was alone among enemies. I had penetrated the enemy line but the men next to me hadn't. This made me a strong, glorious, battle frenzied dead man. I should have pushed less, tried to keep in line but I hadn't. This was one of my first attempts to delve into the mechanics of othismos and this was one of the first lessons I learned.

My theory regarding othismos (I call it "controlled push in steps") I have presented in the past and will only describe it in a few words here. No matter what stance you choose, I guess along centuries and hundreds of city states there would surely be variations too, a single command was given to "prepare for othismos". In a matter of seconds (maybe 5 maybe 10, maybe more as the order should be confirmed before implemeted), the men along the line would assume their positions (close in, lean to their shields, stand at 30, 45 or other angles, hold the spear upright, the frontmen getting armed with their swords or daggers, whatever you think fit) and another order would be given as to how many steps the men should take (1, 2, 3, I guess that at times even more). A third order would be given and all the ranks would push forward only as many steps as the order would have been shouting something like (en (one)- dio (two)). This shout is even today used in Greece when a coordinated push or pull is performed. At "en" the hoplites would prepare to push, at "dio" they would push, again in any stance you choose. Once the phalanx takes the number of steps ordained (I would suggest 1-2 as the norm), battle would go on normally. If the push was successful, then the commander would immediately give the order for another push etc. And yes, we have accounts supporting this sequence.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pushing from Classical Sources - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Re: Responding to your questions - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Re: Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos - by Macedon - 10-07-2010, 12:42 AM