Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos
Quote:Really? Nice in theory, but there's an equal and opposite reaction for every action, and even if you don't start on the right upper chest and shoulder, you're there right after contact.

Except when you're square-to-fore your opponent's shield is pushing yours back into your right shoulder and upper arm.

I see now the difference. In what I describe you should not be able to do this because there is no shield covering your right shoulder. Held as I advocate, the shield curves from your left shoulder to your waist and them down to your left thigh. This may be a simple matter os having different dimensions of aspis with different porpax placement. I had wondered about this with the rim choking you as well. There are many vase images showing this position, see below.

As to collapsing in the bowl, in real life you will be pushed from behind and ground from side to side in an ever tightening crowd. I still think under these conditions you will collapse, and if you do even once, the pressure will keep you there.

Given the shield problem, I don't know that you can replicate what I describe, maybe by holding your arm down at an angle. No worries, at some point we'll all get together and work all this out.

Quote:That said, we are planning one last round of experiments on this. We're going to measure the pushing force of 8 people with aspides pushing against a football training sled in file in the classical stance, and then 8 pushing from a "crowd-theory" stance.

Cole, I would ask you to stop repeating that you are making this comparison. As I wrote above, their is no "crowd-theory" stance. You start off in 3/4 or striding stance and whatever happens, happens. In general you have too many of the variables at odds with what I have described to claim a comparison with my theory. I am very interested in the results of your tests, but they cannot simply be compared to my theory.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pushing from Classical Sources - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Re: Responding to your questions - by nikolaos - 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Re: Othismos: Classical vs Crowd Theory Othismos - by PMBardunias - 09-18-2010, 04:53 AM