Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Combat during the Trojan War
Hi Craig,

Could you explain where you're getting your ideas about the Persians fighting as light infantry and relying on skirmishing and fast marches?

The Iranian troops in Xerxes' army were heavy infantry who fought with spear and bow. They advanced in dense formations, showered the enemy with arrows (while standing stoically under the fire of enemy archers) then charged when they ran out of arrows or thought they had an advantage. Units of Medes and Persians were often less effective than Greeks in hand to hand combat for a variety of reasons, some of which we can guess at. Eighteenth century European infantry give some interesting parallels. There isn't a lot of evidence of Persians using any kind of Zulu-style encircling tactics or long-distance running. Unfortunately, some writers today tend to make things up about Persian armies to fit their ideas about Westerners and Easterners.

I have been told that there exist Late Bronze Age Hittite texts describing infantry drill in formation. I tend to follow the school that Homer is describing a glamorized version of warfare in or just before his own day.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Single Combat during the Trojan War - by Astiryu1 - 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Re: Single Combat during the Trojan War - by Sean Manning - 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM