Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil lamp
Anyone know where to look at a good selection of oil lamps, preferably of different sizes?

John
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Venetian Cat is a good souce, she will custom make all different kinds of Lamps
Quintus Licinius Aquila
aka. Kevin Williams

Optio Leg X E V
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romechicago.com">http://www.romechicago.com
Ok.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
The best ones I know are from Bastilippo
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Those are really nice Christian.

In your opinion, how accurate are the images. In other words, are they based on actual images or are made up as plausible.

The reason I ask is because I have never seen a lamp where it is shaped like a head; Bacchus oil lamp.

If they are accurate reproductions, I will probably buy a couple since the prices are reasonable and they look very nice.

The only thing I think should be removed is the glaze. From what I have read, they would not have been glazed. Then again, I am not an expert in this type of material/pottery so I yield to the opinion of those who would know better.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Original lamps, or other pottery for that matter, were not glazed. Glazing hadn't been invented yet, from what I've read.

Removing glaze from pottery is no easy matter. It fuses with the surface of the clay during firing. I have some lamps that are glazed inside, so the oil doesn't soak through the pottery. I have some which are not, and the oil eventually will get through and begin to deposit on whatever touches the lamp. When packed away for some future use, it's important to realize that, so the oil doesn't get on things you'd rather not have oily.

Glazing on the inside seems a reasonable compromise to me, considering that we don't use lamps every day, like the ancients did. I have a couple of replicas of 1st Cent lamps which I plan to have glazed with matte terracotta glaze one of these days. (Of course, if I had an original, I would probably neither burn oil in it or glaze it).
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for the tip David.

The ones I was referring to from that site appear to be glazed from the outside. I mention appear because when taking a photo certain unintended effects do occur.

It may be that they are not glazed at all. That is why I posted my question to see if anyone has purchased from this place and if in fact they are glazed.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The lamps are not glazed, they have, like loads of the original lamps a cover from very fine slicker (engobe), similar / identical to terra sigillata (red slip ware). Completely authentic.
Christian K.

Thanks Chirstian for the reply. They now have a new customer.

I will contact them shortly and purchase a few of those.

Christian, the one shaped like the head of Bacchus is attested for. I am just asking since I never saw one shaped like a head.

Paolo
Yup. :-) )
Christian K.

Thanks for the info. That is the first one I will get

Paolo
Christian,

I have placed an order for two lamps. The one of Bacchus and the other of Victoria.

I hope they are as nice as pictured in the site.

Thanks again for the repsonses.

Paolo
Please let us know about the quality when they arrived!

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jeff,

No problem although I am not a lamp expert so any authenticity issues in design or other may go unnoticed.

However, as Christian has pointed out, they are spot on.

Paolo
Well,

I am reporting back on the lamps that I ordered from the site Christian recommended. To begin with, the service was excellent. As soon as I sent the payment through PayPal, within little over a week, I received my lamps. They are made out of Terra Cotta, like the originals and can be used with olive oil.

The quality of the lamps, IMO, are excellent. The figures are true to the originals (I have some of the original pics on my computer). Moreover, as Christian pointed out, his images are attested for in the evidence.

One thing that I would like to point out is that they are smooth not rough or ruddy. I think that the originals would have been finished smooth as well but being in the ground for 2000 years makes them look rough and ruddy. At least that is my opinion I could be wrong. Thus one should not be discouraged if they have that kind of semi gloss modern look. This affect is from the treatment of the Terra Cotta. Like Christian pointed, they are not glazed. Also the maker of these lamps confirmed that.

I would recommend this lamp maker to anyone who wants good quality lamps. I need not post any pictures since the way they are on his site is nearly identical to how they were received. Sometimes the picture looks one way and when the item is received, it is substantially different. Not in this case; what you see is exactly what you get.

Paolo