Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Thanks Steve, enlightening.

Since then I met with former army colleagues for a social evening and, of course, we swopped stories and chatted about our common interest in military history. Two of them were skilled horsemen and also served in the mounted branch of the army. I mentioned our little "project" and the deployment given by Tacitus. The traditional one of Heavy Infantry in centre, light(er) on their flanks and cavalry further out. We discussed the description of the ground and the "defile" with the cavalry possibly being posted uphill and was told something like:

Have you ever ridden a horse going downhill at speed? Unless the gradient is pretty gentle, you'll need to slow the animal down, or you'll risk a fatal tumble. That's bad enough if you're riding solo, but a few flailing falls in the middle of a formation moving downhill at speed to contact would be disastrous. The position of the riders (giving point with blades, or swords raised at least) would also be completely counterproductive to the momentum of a charge, as it would place entirely too much forward weight on the mount as it moves downhill, and massively increase the chances of multiple falls. Even more so with no stirrups and a shield on my left arm.

He could see the cavalry traversing the slope into combat but not descending. I need to think more about this.

I do not equate Tacitus and Dio or the accuracy of their description of the battle. Though both sound "Hollywood", Tacitus has a ring of truth to it and I can see him at dinner with the aging father in law. The food, goblets and suchlike being moved to illustrate the battle and tactics - probably dozens of times (and several other battles) until he knew it by heart. Dio's description of splitting into three "divisions" sounds wrong and the milling battle but the confused nature of a close quarters battle has a degree of realism, the description that the three groups of surrounded Romans finally managed not only to fight their way out but completely destroy the enemy army again does not ring true but is possible. Sadly, I do not consider either to give an accurate picture. Tacitus' casualty rates are unlikely but possible if the whole pursuit is included.

I do concur that Paulinus was very probably in position for some time before the battle. If it was a modern battle we would indeed prepare it with interlocking fields of fire, obstacles and minefields. Translating this back to the first century that might be a low rampart or ditch to break the enemy charge in front of the infantry. Perhaps Lilia were dug to force the charging enemy inwards or break the charge but these equally would impede any counter attack so not convinced of this. I would also expect the light artillery to be positioned on the slopes or on mounds to give a wide field of fire. I am sure I have seen raised mounds for this purpose (Trimontium?)

I have 30+ pages of notes and several combat estimates to organise and will do so. No idea how long it will take.

I am learning so much from this!

Thanks to everyone.
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by dadlamassu - 03-02-2023, 05:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,508 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex