Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straightening a bump on the bowl of a helmet....
Howdy!

If you have a bump on the bowl of a brass helmet, what is the best way to try to straighten it? Thanks in advance!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Since soothing words and a kiss from Mom probably won't work, you might try a soft hammer on the outside and a rounded form on the inside. I use the top of an acetylene bottle, but there are other things that will work. Go slowly. I'm assuming you mean a protrusion rather than a dent?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Since soothing words and a kiss from Mom probably won't work, you might try a soft hammer on the outside and a rounded form on the inside. I use the top of an acetylene bottle, but there are other things that will work. Go slowly. I'm assuming you mean a protrusion rather than a dent?

Thanks David! In fact I don`t know the seriousness of the dent / bump because the helmet got it during the mail transport when I sold my helmet :evil: . Anyway what is the difference between iron and brass as a material when hammering the dents / bumps straight?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I would expect that if it occured in the mail, it's a dent- it'd take some skill to get inside and cause a bump LOL A dent's not too hard to fix- all that's required is a hard, solid surface and a round-faced mallet or hammer. A regular hammer or a ball-pein hammer won't do- one is too flat the other too round (unless the dent is small). Ideally you want a 'hammer' (whatever you use) that's close to the size of the dent, rounded to close to the curvature of the helmet- easy enough to do with a grinder if one has or can get an old hammer someplace. The best surface would be a bit of steel that you cover with tape to 'soften' it so you won't marr the brass surface (if the helmet is brass). Put the helmet dent directly facing the steel and hammer gently, rolling the helmet back and forth and side to side as you do- the idea being that you introduce small adjustments in curving lines, and the hard surface will prevent you from going too far and ultimately help even it all out. You may have to do some sanding and polishing at the end to blend the surface to its original form, but then again battle or even everyday use damage does make a piece look more 'real' so just hammering it back out more roughly and leaving it would probably make the doubtless modern smooth and polished helmet look rather less modern LOL

There should be no practical difference between brass and steel when it comes to hammering out a dent- steel is just harder so it's probably a bit more work. The key is to not be in a rush either way- to hammer gently but enough to actually move metal and always roll the helmet as you do.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thanks Matt 8) !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
That's what a GOOD armorer does! What I've done more than once is simply rest the helmet upside-down in my lap, and rap at the inside of the dent with the BUTT of a hammer, or even a piece of thick wooden dowel. You can even do this right through the lining, though of course it's a little harder to see exactly where to strike. Had to do this with my brand-new custom-made Corinthian helmet many years ago, when it arrived with a shipping dent, and I was pretty scared, but it worked perfectly. But as Matt says, go lightly and carefully.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks Matt(hew) 8) !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hi

During my ESG career I used to be the single target infantryman, intended to make the cavalry riders look good! In the course of one display the rider with his advantage in height brought down his wooden spatha over my raised shield and straight down onto the bowl of my helmet! The resulting loud ringing noise drew gasps then a round of applause from the audience and left a large dent in my helmet with a depth of about a fingers width.

Funnily enough I never once thought of hammering it out but kept it in as a mark of pride. Come to think of it now, that blow to the head explains a lot! Smile

Graham
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I would recommend to use a layer of wood (or leather) between the helmet and the hammerhead...a bump from the inside can be done quite easily...and it can look even worse (that's my experience, at least :oops: )
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Widening a helmet bowl? Virilis 12 2,052 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Last Post: Virilis