Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructed mosaic in Dutch Museum
Hi,
There is a replica mosaic in a museum in the Netherlands somewhere. I think it's part of a reconstruction of a sanctuary, I've got an image here.
Anyone can tell me where it is, what material they used and does anyone have any close up photos I could see? The images need to be close enough to see each tesserae, I'm not bothered which part of the mosaic.
Thanks
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Quote:Hi,
Anyone can tell me where it is
Yes, that is in Orientalis; it is now closed. For the details of the mosaic, you best ask our fellow-RAT Jurjen Draaisma, who works over there.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
That indeed is the Mitreum of Museumpark Orientalis. It was made back in 2003 if I'm right. I can check if I got some better pics at home. Must have some, but have to check that at home.

About the material I can be quite simple. Its made of standard 'bathroom mosaic tiles'. Nothing special.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks, it would be good to see the images. From the photo I have it looks to be very well done considering modern tiles have been used.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
I'm moving to a new apartment this weekend, so the harddisk with my pics on it is already packet away somewhere. Will try to remember next week to dig up some photo's.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I just checked my image directories with pictures of the museum and unfortunately I didn't came across any better pictures of the mosaic. As the museum is currently closed I also can't go there to make new pics. I'll check if I can arrange to get some keys and give it a visit some day, if you still want pictures. But that may take some time, as at the moment I'm rather busy with all kind of other stuff (as are the few people who are working at the museums office currently)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks for looking but there is no rush, just professional curiosity.
I'll be over in August (if not before) so I can always have a look then so don't go out of you way.

Thanks again
Lawrence Payne

Quote:I'll be over in August (if not before) so I can always have a look then so don't go out of you way.

Unfortunatelly that will not be possible. The museum is closed for at least the rest of the year. If everything goes fine it will be re-opened next summer, at the earliest.

(and as soon as I get access to the park, its only 10 minutes away by bike, so not such a big problem to go there.
ALA I BATAVORUM
In that case then yes please, if you get a chance I'd much appreciate it.

I'm going to approach a number of museums and villa reconstructions with a view the getting them interested in having volunteers/staff trained to have a mosaic started on a section of floor. Even just a small area of floor with part of a mosaic set and the rest showing the guidelines underneath. In the case of a reconstructed villa this will give the public a much clearer idea of how the work was done (I've just got to reduce some images and I'll put them up)

The marble/stone I use is pre cut into irregular shapes and tumbled so only a little cutting is needed and no grinding. It's relatively easy for anyone to learn to do this properly and as mosaics are, in the public mind, such an intergal part of the Roman villa it would be great to have an area where they can see just what was involved with the work.

There are hardly any at all that I know of, that's why it's nice to see that they've gone to the effort to get the one at the Orientalis done.
Lawrence Payne

Here are the images of the of sort thing which I think is very good at showing guidelines. These are my own copies from a mosaic found at Villa Arianna, part of the mosaic had crumbled exposing the guidelines excised onto the setting surface underneath.

If anyone knows of any reconstructions at any villas or museums I'd love to know about them.

Cheers
Lawrence Payne

Just out of curiosity, what was that room used for in ancient times?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Its a Mitreum.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructed Artilley in the Bardo Museum sulla felix 8 1,780 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: sulla felix