Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
use of \'fur on\' hides
I picked up a rather nice fur-on goat hide a few weeks ago, and ive been thinking that instead of simply using it for 'set decoration' (which seems rather inauthentic anyway) I should put it to good use.

I am curious as to weather anyone has any information as to what would have been made using fur-on pelts. I have been considering making a bag out of it, like what was discussed in the "Greek Travelers Pack" thread, but unfortunately the poor fellow no longer has his legs, so that exact design is out of the question. Is it feasible that a haversack along the lines of Kineas's Doros would have been made from this material? It's actually a pretty tough little skin and there would definately be enough to make a haversack style bag out of it (not including the strap). If at all possible I would rather go with a flap style bag instead of a drawstring style, simply because at least in my experience, you can fit a great deal more into a square bag than a round one, but I dont want to go with it unless it is authentic.

If not, does anyone have any suggestions for an authentic use for this skin?
Any help would be appreciated.
Michelle E. Hildebrant
[url:3r4j67h2]http://hoplite480.livejournal.com/[/url]
Seems like you could just sew on leather straps to replace the missing legs, square your shoulders, set your jaw and forge on ahead. Anyone who questions you should get a stern look and a shrug. Walk away muttering something in Greek, and look over your shoulder once.

Or you could get a reasonable sized water bladder, and sew the hide around that, making a "period" water skin. (*Fur is most easily sewn inside out, then turned back when the sewing is done or nearly done. That way, you get the smallest seam, and the least hair interfering with your needle and thread.*)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Most upper class writers deride the use of skins and pelts in their wrttings...

BUT hoplites from Central and Northern Greece or the Pontic Colonies would not share their view...

Kind regards