Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Quote:Yet, I believe that this sort of open order is much more quick to deploy than having your left files marching 500 meters to the center to complete the maneuver and would have been used...

A gross lateral movement of files over large distance seems to be what is described at Cynocephalae. I agree with the notion of doubling files, though not to four, but I also think Aelian is describing a wide variety of maneuvers that accomplish the same goal. For example, he describes "doubling" by moving every other man in a file left and forward to form a new file in more detail than he does bringing up the rear half of the file. Why so many? Were they all expected to be done by a well trained force or was it a compilation of known maneuvers, perhaps from different times and places?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by PMBardunias - 07-03-2009, 02:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,306 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,591 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,801 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos