Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Quote:Left you can observe how the right-over-left overlap allows the opening of the shield wall actually endangering the phalanx.

By convention on this site we have been calling overlap in the opposite manner. The preffered method by both you and I is "Right hand man's shield overlapping left hand man's shield" or "right over left." We have argued this ad nauseum on here inthe past and as far as I know you are now the only other person who advocates right over left. I'll add to your observation of the weakness of L-o-R that as the lines back in you end up with someone's shield rim in your gut. I for one would not want anyting betwene me and my aspis.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by PMBardunias - 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,306 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,591 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,801 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos