Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Paralus wrote:
Quote:No: simply that Arrian does not mention dimoiites or half file leaders. He mentions many other positions but not ever a half file leader to my recollection.
Sorry? As I have already related, Arrian does indeed use the words Dekadarch, Dimoirites and two Dekastateroi (Arrian Anabasis VII.23). Aelian tells us: " ..the half-file of course consists of a like number of men and is called a [i]semi-dekuria and it's leader is called dimoirites..." [/i] Fragments of papyri from the reign of Ptolemy I shortly after Alexander's death refer to Dekanikoi (file leaders) and Dimoiritai ( double pay men/Half file leaders), so as you would expect, these 'ranks' existed in a traditional Macedonian Phalanx too, not just A.'s experimental mixed one, and the File leader, Half-file leader and quarter file leader are all referred to in all the hellenistic manuals........surely such evidence is persuasive? It certainly is to most modern writers, as I have mentioned.

Quote:The weight of attack will be borne by the front three saris-bearing ranks. The Persians - armed in traditional fashion - are simply fillers who will loose javellins and arrows and lend weight to the front sarisa bearers.
Again, this is assumption on your part, for Arrian does not say this at all !!

Quote:"en machen" and "en taxeis" means to place in line or order. This is what Xenophon states on the two occasions. In your instance they are on parade and "eis machen" and "are not about to meet a foe", rather, go to dinner; at Byzantiun "en taxei".
No, they are not parading for dinner - they are carrying out a 'dress rehearsal' for the battle and charge four deep in a sufficiently realistic and scary fashion as to terrify the locals. Afterward they disperse laughing to their tents, and Cyrus is very pleased at the panic his mercenaries caused among the natives.

In the second instance, they are on a peaceful parade square, with grounded arms and form up in the 'normal/open' order, eight deep, as you would expect. The only time they normally 'close up' into half-files is just before contact with an enemy. Most of the time they march in files and form lines eight deep - in 'normal/open' order, which allows them to manouevre, counter-march etc. In my view, and that of others, 'close order' of 'half-files' is only used for combat, and the troops are then too close to one another for counter-marching etc to take place.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paullus Scipio - 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,306 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,593 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,802 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos