Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
It is not "scorn". Xenophon's Spartan bias is - or should be - well known. My choice of word (I was too lazy to edit it afterwards) was not the best. "Painful" is better. He chose not to elaborate on the Spartans being outdone tactically just as he chose not to record the details of the Theban generals but chose to record his disgust at Pelopidas' "medising" to position Thebes as prostatai of the resultant "King's Peace".

He was more interested in excusing: Cleombrotus and others drinking at the lunchtime meal; the incompetent Peloponnesian cavalry and all the acts of fortune going Thebes' way. One would never have guessed the victory was due to innovative and well prepared tactics by standout generals.

As to bringing troops from the "unengaged left", I don't see this. The left were just that: unengaged and, if we can believe Xenophon, more than interested in a Spartan fall. No, I think it was as related: trying to extend the right wing. Had they done so who knows? The Thebans will have been taken in the unprotected flank. They were not up to it though. Nor did they have the time.

Bo "baby" Blues....
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paralus - 06-03-2009, 06:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,307 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,594 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,805 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos