Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
These arguments are mere sophistry at best.....I have already pointed out that 'order' and 'formation' overlap to a degree, even though in English we may distinguish between them. Perhaps the Greek does not allow this distinction, which is yours and artificial.Come up with an alternative hypothesis rather than simply criticise one which does, in fact, fit the known evidence. Until someone with better knowledge of Ancient Greek can elaborate, I would suggest 'eis machen' refers to the process of forming phalanx from column, in open order; then advancing on the foe in open order, and finally 'closing up' just before contact and thereby halving the depth.....
So we have Greek Hoplites, 8 deep in 'open/normal' order, closing up to 4 ranks deep in close order just before contact, and similarly we have a 16 deep 'open/normal' Macedonian phalanx close up to 8 deep. Common sense alone would indicate that troops would not form up in a formation whereby two-thirds of the troops simply do nothing, other than hold their pikes in the air to protect against missiles, and in doing so, form up on a narrow front, easily outflanked. Such a formation would be suicidally insane, all other things being equal.....

In my hypothesis, 3/4 of the hoplites take part in combat, and 5/8 of sarissaphoroi....which makes a damn sight more sense than having 2/3 taking no part, and leave themselves vulnerable to outflanking..... :roll: Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paullus Scipio - 06-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,306 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,591 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,801 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos