Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth?
Arrian II.9
Quote:On the left wing the infantry consisting of the Cretan archers and the Thracians under command of Sitalces were posted in front; and before these the cavalry towards the left. The Grecian mercenaries were drawn up as a reserve for all of them.
...this is the translation you posted. De Selincourt in the Penguin version translates thus....
Quote:In the van of the Infantry on the Macedonian left were the Cretan archers and the Thracians, under Sitalkes, with the cavalry on the left wing in advance of them; all units had a proportion of foreign mercenaries assigned to them.
Can any of our Ancient Greek speakers elucidate? I think the former version, as posted by Paralus perhaps makes more sense. On the left flank, the cavalry - Peloponnesians and other Allied Greek cavalry,( c.750) together with the Thessalians (2,100) behind these the Cretan archers and Thracian peltasts (6-7,000) - a skirmish line of light infantry; and supporting all these, the Greek Hoplites (7,000). These troops, under Parmenio, comprise the left wing and thus, as I said, the Hoplite Heavy Infantry formed the left of the Heavy Infantry Line (Phalanx).

It must be said that the only time (AFIK) when the depth, in battle, of Alexander's Phalanx is categorically stated is here when we are told it fought Eight deep in close order ( as opposed to 16, which I believe is the 'normal'/open order of the manuals). Similarly, the only passage I know that refers to the actual depth of a Hoplite 'battle formation' is Xenophon's four deep ( as opposed to the 8,10, or 12 we hear of in Herodotus and Thucydides - excluding the Thebans).Since we know that the way in which the Greeks/Macedonians formed 'close' order was for the rear half of each file to move up beside the front half, thus 'doubling' the number of men on the same frontage and halving the depth, the hypothesis I have put forward here ( only in part !!) is the one which fits all the known facts best.........at least until some more information comes to light !! Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - by Paullus Scipio - 04-01-2009, 03:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Makedonian phalanx shield Lessa 22 6,307 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Lessa
  phalanx depth PMBardunias 12 3,593 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Makedonian Armour Kallimachos 92 26,803 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos