Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany
Hi John,
... since this dolabra came up amongst other parts from roman times -- in an area where more roman finds were made > "found in a field" ( farming area),I think we can call this "found in situ".
German newspaper "Die Welt" just put more news online - a bit more substantial than the others I had linked before. On top of the other informations the names of the two chief excavators that made this find were given: Michael Brangs and Thorsten Schwarz.
Both were also the first (official)ones to excavate here in 2008. They are portrayed in the movie about the Harzhorn digs I reviewed elsewhere in this forum.
http://www.welt.de/kultur/article1381034...ation.html
(With a roundup of the pics available.)
Taking that into account I'm not under the expression they could be incompetent or be inclined to braggery. (O.K. , we all know -- "when Hollywood steps in" > :roll: , yes ?! :mrgreen: )
I think we can trust them . ;-)
The "Welt" also goes on to mention "a multiple of 2000 finds already made".
That said -- back to further informations:
This press-note goes on to relate to a roman gravestone/"kenotaph"(?) found in Speyer/Germany, mentioning a certain Aurelius Vitalis, member of the LEGIIII Flavia as "agens expeditione Germaniae, hitherto attributed to a participation in one of Caracalla's expeditions. (* > "Römer in Rheinland-Pfalz" 1990 S.117)
(That one of 213 AD -- aka as "a case of Emperor Posing" :wink: !)
The newspaper then goes on to state that most parts of Germania Magna meant no "terra incognita" to the romans as e.g. Ptolemaios showed in his geographic papers -- they give a short hint to the book on "new findings about the Ptolemaic papers" we discusses elsewhere here.
Another newsline from the Göttinger Tageblatt just popped up:
http://www.goettinger-tageblatt.de/Nachr...m-Harzhorn
getting more specific on the full text of the dolabra-inscription, probably readable as:
LEGIIII F S A (= Flaviana Severiana Alexandriana) referring to Maximinus Thrax predecessor Severus Alexander.
Ahhh, yes ---- there will be a "Landesausstellung/state exhibition" about the Harzhorn
in 2013 -- at Braunschweig.
http://www.landesmuseum-bs.de/
(No informations given here, yet -- referring just for the impatient ones, here :mrgreen: )
Waiting on still more information.

Greez

Siggi
Siggi K.

Messages In This Thread
of course - by Goffredo - 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Re: of course - by L C Cinna - 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM
battlefield - by Arminius Primus - 12-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Battlefield Find - by Arminius Primus - 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Re: - by P. Clodius Secundus - 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Re: Re: - by nithijo - 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Re: Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany - by Ross Cowan - 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Re: Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany - by Simplex - 01-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 247 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Roman camp found in Germany jho 15 8,402 10-18-2021, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield Leoshenlong 18 2,749 05-07-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus