Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany
...pushing the envelope a bit further ? or ...did I get any further ?
O.K. while not being successful in digging up larger publications on the Harzhorn subject, I nevertheless got a bit deeper into the materia while reading through the "2000 Jahre Varusschlacht -- Imperium/Konflikt/Mythos"-Catalogue.
It gave me a good roundup on the Illerup/Thorsberg/Nydam finds and their context, ( At this place I'd like to thank D.B. Campbell for bringing my attention "a bit" closer to the Thorsberg finds) as well as a good overview on the "as yet"- situation in scandinavian research of the parallel situation to the Roman Empire in northern Europe.) ["Konflikt"; Various Authors-- pages 132 to 182] IMHO the coverage of the wooden finds from Nydam and Thorsberg could have been a bit more extensive.
Yes, the "Harzhorn" is also covered here from pages 228 to 232 by various authors [The ones who also did the excavations, obviously].
The references here give no clue about more extensive publications yet.
Also in the "Mythos"-part of that catalogue I ran into a picture of a part of the Trajan Column showing "barbarian" roman auxialiaries attacking Dacians. They are bviously wearing roman helmets and oval (?) shields, but also beards as opposed to the regular roman soldiers
--- and they use clubs. Gotten courious by this ( its from spiral number 11, scene 70 on the Trajan column) I did a "quickndirty"-search running into further information and another picture of barbarians using clubs (as far as my eyes tell me :wink: ) e.g. in spiral 6, scene 38 .
The appropriate links were:
[url:2ypd7kso]http://cheiron.humanities.mcmaster.ca/trajan/index.html[/url]
http://arachne.uni-koeln.de/browser/inde...ief_nr=038
http://arachne.uni-koeln.de/browser/inde...ief_nr=070
[ in case of problems: please cut 'n paste ]
But seriously I'm asking myself whether this is "real-life" or just a means of clarifying the difference between Romans and Barbarians?
After all : these pictures are from before 113 AD -- still a bit of time before the presumed date of the Harzhorn.
Since I have not found any similar pictures from the column of Marc Aurel it seems that I effectively haven't got very far, still.

Greez

Simplex

BTW: I think that at least for persons familiar with the german language this "2000 Jahre Varusschlacht" publication is a worthwhile buy.
======================================================================================================================
Quod licet Dave Bowie non licet Bon Jovi !! :wink:
Siggi K.

Messages In This Thread
of course - by Goffredo - 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Re: of course - by L C Cinna - 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM
battlefield - by Arminius Primus - 12-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Battlefield Find - by Arminius Primus - 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Re: - by P. Clodius Secundus - 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Re: Re: - by nithijo - 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Re: Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany - by Ross Cowan - 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Re: Roman battlefield found deep inside Germany - by Simplex - 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman medical service on the battlefield. Robert Vermaat 0 247 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Roman camp found in Germany jho 15 8,401 10-18-2021, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  How many armor soldiers did the Roman soldier bring to the battlefield Leoshenlong 18 2,748 05-07-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus