Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amadee Forestier\'s The Roman Soldier
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this copiously illustrated volume before? It is a history of the Roman soldier from the earliest times to Stilicho. All the plates are original paintings by Forestier and I suppose details of uniforms are a little out of date by today's standards but they were enough to have me shelling out for the book. The foreword and introduction are by Ian Richmond (London, 1928).

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Quote:I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this copiously illustrated volume before? It is a history of the Roman soldier from the earliest times to Stilicho. All the plates are original paintings by Forestier and I suppose details of uniforms are a little out of date by today's standards but they were enough to have me shelling out for the book. The foreword and introduction are by Ian Richmond (London, 1928).

Certainly have. It was in my school library when I was a kid in those formative days when things Roman were first catching my attention. It was in that very library that I bought my first copy of the Penguin Classic of Tacitus' Annals from one of those book fairs that travel round schools. The library also contained that important source book (and, in many instances, more reliable than Tacitus), Winnie Ille Pu.

Reconstruction paintings are always 'of their time' and, just as with scholarly text, date. The key is to judge them on their own terms and not be overly critical of them in comparison with the latest versions, which will always have more information available upon which they can be based (as well as the inevitable element of, er, invention).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks Mike,

Well, given that it was formative for you, its worth having just for that (he says with Domitianic obsequiousness :lol: ) I loved the art for its own sake anyhow - and it is one of those lovely old fashioned books with colour plates attached to pages which I adore.

When I discovered the internet, the first things I tracked down were my formative books - including The Footsoldier which has the story of the legionary storming Maiden Castle which really did have an impact (although my interest in Rome began at 6 or 7 with a dream (probably inspired by an Easter or Christmas movie but I can remember the dream not the film)...)

I also picked up a lovely Comic History of Rome with original hand-coloured lithographgs which is gorgeous.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
A very interesting book.

Look at how a Legionary holds his marching pack.

See also another Legionary in blue tunic with dark red cloak and leg wrappings and then if possible watch 'The Robe' starring Richard Burton made almost thirty years later. Someone in the Holywood costume department did their homework!

Of course as Mike say's the book is 'of it's time', but I would say that not everything in it can be discounted, even today.

One question Murray, did your copy come with a cover?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham,

Any excuse to watch The Robe! (Being the founder of The Victor Mature and Ernest Borgnine Film Appreciation Society (or VMEBFAS), I don't need much convincing!)

Yes it did come in covers but no dust jacket (did it originally have one?) The binding is in very good condition and all the plates are present and still attached.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forestier\'s Roman Soldier mcbishop 18 4,180 01-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius