Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT conference MAINZ 2008
I have transferred the 60 euro's!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Is the hotel going to be booked central? As I think it's time to book.

I've an Exam on fridaymorning, so I can't leave here before noon and so I will be in Mainz later friday evening.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I'll arrive most probably late at night, I can't tell anything right now when.
Restaurant guide Mainz
Maybe we can check this and see we we want to go when, so that we can make reservations?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Hello to everybody!

I wish you all a good time in Mainz and many interesting hours in the lessons and the museums. (I was interested in going there, too, but I will be in mainz the weekend before for the congress of student-associations of Archeological sciences, so there's unfortunately not enough time left.)

Concerning the RGZM there is to say that unfortunately the exhibition about parts of 12 new late roman helmets (3rd century, found in Koblenz 1988 and restored until now) ends on the 16.11. but there's still the publication available in the museum. There's another new publication of the museum about the decoration of weapons in the roman army, looks quite nice.
The prehistorical section with the celtic weapons etc. is unfortunately closed till 2012.

The Saalburg is daily opened (except monday), in november from 9.00-16.00, but it's still 55 km to drive from Mainz. The new buildings (two "streifenhäuser" in the vicus and the praetorium) were not ready this summer, the opening will be next year, so I think they won't be ready right now. But the museum is nice anyway. :-) )

So, have fun and enjoy your trip there!
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Just recieved the newsletter and saw the bump for the conference. Count me in, so long as i can sweet talk the frau out of 60 euros tommorrow. Probably to be delivered via the paypal route.

I live near Darmstadt, which is relatively close to Mainz. Matter of fact i was up at the Romer-Germanisch Zentralmuseum (excuse any misspelling on my part there) week before last. Good times.

One question however: I haven't seen a definate timeline yet, such as link up times and places. Any further guidance here? When and wheres if you will. Come to think of it...what will the lecture topics be? Thanks in advance!

If i can be of any (granted, LATE) help in facilitating the conference, please 'gimmie a shout' as i am only a few minutes down the road from Mainz and the museums.

Timothy
Timothy
Hmmm, all so very interesting, but sadly all so far away for me. Frustrating Sad
Roma Victrix

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legioxi.be/">www.legioxi.be/

Kind regards
Aelius Statilius Atticus
Quote:Restaurant guide Mainz
Maybe we can check this and see we we want to go when, so that we can make reservations?

I recall from a stay at Mainz that I went to the Augustinerkeller which you will find listed under "Weinlokale" when following Christian's link. It has a nice basement vault und serves local food and drinks. I would suggest this for Saturday evening.
Looks like I'm going to join you guys after all Big Grin
Roma Victrix

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legioxi.be/">www.legioxi.be/

Kind regards
Aelius Statilius Atticus
I realy hate to say this, but I am afraid I will have to cancel my "date" with you all. Circumstances have changed, so have had to re-evaluate priorities on this trip. Perhaps next time Cry
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Oh my. Cry
Christian K.

Here are some more recommendations for places for the evening gatherings:

Eisgrub-Bräu http://www.eisgrub.de/deu/frameset.htm

Heilig Geist http://www.heiliggeist-mainz.de/
My group is still collecting the money from everyone and looking out for a cheap place to stay. We already have some options.

So just to say that we're still planning to come with about 10 persons.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Instead of going to the Saalburg I think it might be more interesting to visit the exhibition
"Rome and the Barbarians" in Bonn. The exhibition was previously in Venice in the Palazzo Grassi, and was very sucessful.
What do you guys think?
www.bundeskunsthalle.de/index.htm?ausstellungen/romundbarbaren/index.htm
Christian K.

Is it really necesarry to do such a long trip (165km single journey)? Is there not enough to do in Mainz and near vicinity to fill two days?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be