Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most recognizable symbols of Rome
I must say that a legionair with the typical lorica segmentata and a nice crested helmet would be the most recognizible for most people. Talking about actual symbols I think it must be the wolf with remus and romulus underneath
Patrick Van Calck
When I was a kid, playing Julius caesar....sounds familiar.. :roll: , We used to mark everything with SPQR, to show it was now 'Roman' :lol:

Chalk was a highly sought after commodity in our 'empire' Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
digitus impudicus of course!

.... though most folk don't equate it with Rome.

:lol:
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:Talking about actual symbols I think it must be the wolf with remus and romulus underneath

I understood that the original statue was of the she wolf and the suckling twins were a post Roman addition to this. :?
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Quote:
Quote:SPQR is ubiquitous in modern Rome
That's Mussolini indeed and I wonder whether that is also the reason SPQR is so widely recognized now.
No, jokes like "Soli Porchi Qui Regnano" and "Sono Porci Questi Romani" date back to the nineteenth-century poet Belli. Rabelais judged Rome to be "Si Peu Que Rien", and Pasquino joked in 1870 (after the fall of the pope) "Sanctus Pater Quondam Rex". Hawthorne -if I recall correctly- notes that someone once said to him "So Please Quit Rome".
Quote:
vergilius:16yxzpt4 Wrote:Talking about actual symbols I think it must be the wolf with remus and romulus underneath
I understood that the original statue was of the she wolf and the suckling twins were a post Roman addition to this. :?
It's worse: the entire statue dates back to the sixth or seventh century. Anno Domini. It was published in 2006.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:It's worse: the entire statue dates back to the sixth or seventh century. Anno Domini.

Really ? Anno Domini ?! I always read that the she-wolf statue was Etruscan. :?

But either way, why is it worse ? Anything earlier than the Renaissance would be better, right ? The infants were supposedly added at that period.

~Theo
Jaime
But you have the symbology of the wolf and infants on earlier belt plates?
:?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Denarius from 137 BC:

[url:3ugv8au8]http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/wolfcoin2.jpg[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Jona Lendering:1s9mfrjs Wrote:It's worse: the entire statue dates back to the sixth or seventh century. Anno Domini.
Really ? Anno Domini ?! I always read that the she-wolf statue was Etruscan. :?
One of the articles is here.
But either way, why is it worse ?[/quote]
No esthetic judgment intended. I meant that it's not just the twins that is post-Roman, but the entire statue.

And of course, the Romans used the symbol itself - but not this particular one, the Capitoline she-wolf.
Jona Lendering
My website
Wow, thanks for the link, Jona !

Very interesting. So the author believes the technology that made the single cast bronze was beyond the abilities possessed by either the early Romans or the Etruscans.

Well, at least the coin that Tarbicus posted above proves that the symbol itself of the she-wolf suckling Romulus and Remus is authentic. Perhaps the statue is a copy of a now lost statue made with the more modern techniques of the 8th century ? Just a thought.

Quote:No esthetic judgment intended. I meant that it's not just the twins that is post-Roman, but the entire statue.

I see. I just meant that at least the statue is about 7 centuries closer to the time of the Western Empire than the twins which were added much later.

Vale.

~Theo
Jaime
But the image it self is very old, and a recognisable image associated with Rome, which is the point here. Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi all,

Well... since it is my PhD topic, I would argue that (one of) the most ubiquitous symbols and ideas which represented Rome to Romans and non-Romans was the camp. The Roman camp was recognised as unique to them and their system of warfare.

Now I can't shoot my own research in the foot but, throughout history from at least Polybius onwards it is the camp which exemplifies everything Roman - discipline, order, aggression, defence, safety ...

If you look at the imagery associated with the camp it remains on the whole, consistent for the whole period 146 BC - 400 AD whic, it itself is remarkable.

There was also art and coinage which depicted camps at various stages in the empire.

There were also of course the physical reminders of the many camps and fortifications themselves on the frontiers of the camp (and around the empire in what were once frontiers or disputed areas) . These would have served as a constant reminder of what Rome and her military were.

Now ... all I have to do is write the thing.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
A peaceful and if not prosperous at least comfortable town or village of whitewashed buildings with red tiled roofs. Unless it is in a troubled province then most likely without walls. Ubiquitous legionaires from a nearby fort.

The market. The woman doing their laundry at the fountain built for that purpose. People congregating in the town square. The slave auctions. Farmers working in their fields. Crafstpeople crafting and displaying their wares.
Angus Finnigan
In The Fourth Book of Ezra, a Jewish work of the late 1st century CE, chapters 11-12 present the Roman empire as an eagle. Also, the reference to eagles in Gospel of Luke 17:37, is probably an indication of the coming destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman legions.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:In The Fourth Book of Ezra, a Jewish work of the late 1st century CE, chapters 11-12 present the Roman empire as an eagle. Also, the reference to eagles in Gospel of Luke 17:37, is probably an indication of the coming destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman legions.
Good point!!! The standards are also mentioned in the Scrolls of the Dead Sea: in 1QpHab 5.12-7.5 to be precise. 1Q = first cave of Qumran; p = pesher (Armaic commentary on a Hebrew Bible book); Hab = Habakuk. The writer of that commentary notes that the Kittim = Romans sacrifice to their standards, a reference to Pompey's capture of Jerusalem in 63 BCE.
Jona Lendering
My website