Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to go for Hellenistic stuff?
I've got lots of good articles for the Hellenistic era in the coming issues of Ancient Warfare, but I'm rapidly running out of photographs to illustrate them with. Which museums give me the best chance of increasing my stock in one go? Louvre? Istanbul? Athens? Rome?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I've only been to Istanbul and Athens. Istanbul is pretty good; they have a lot of nice Hellenistic funerary stelae, including the best-preserved of the painted Sidon stelae. Athens doesn't have too much of relevance from the Hellenistic period, but they have for instance a few nice Hellenistic representations of cavalrymen.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Jasper you could also try Volos, Ioannina, Thessaaloniki anf Kerkyra (Korfu)

Best regards
And Madrid...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sadly, Madrid doesn't have that much in the way of military stuff. Some pottery, but terribly difficult to photograph and much of the other things were in the last issue of AW.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Did you not see the Corinthian/s? and other stuff.....? Which i can't recall for some reason..... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Not in the Archaeological museum in Madrid when I was there. And anyway, I do not have a lack of Corinthians.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
It wasn't one of the prettier ones anyway :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In the Thessaloniki museum there are some wonderful hellenistic finds,mostly gold pieces.Many of them! Hoever there are no hellenistic helmets and the armour is from the archaic and classical times. There are two hellenistic gorgets, 5 archaic and classical helms,two of them Illyrian,one corinthian and a nice chalcidian.Three pairs of greaves,all of them in very good condition and many swords,not in such a good condition,but without missing parts.Of course some spear heads and iron butt spikes,also not in very good shape.
Jasper,if you're interested for photos,pm me.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
There isn't much to be seen in Rome, for sure. The Louvre has a nice collection of bronzes -- I have a bunch of pictures if you're interested.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
I'm always interested in pictures. For AW they have to be hi-res, in focus, without reflections and, most importantly, yours. But if they're not, then they can still be handy to have as a tip for places to go. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ioannina Museum has example of Hellenistic "phrygic helmets".
Kerekyra Museum has an iron armor and helemets of the "Pyrric" period.

Kind regards
Quote:Ioannina Museum has example of Hellenistic "phrygic helmets".
Kerekyra Museum has an iron armor and helemets of the "Pyrric" period.

Kind regards

Unfortunately in the case of the Kerkyra archaeological museum, photography of the display case showing the iron muscled cavalry cuirass, the two iron Thraco-Attic helmets, and the kopis is forbidden and it is right in front of the entrance desk. I went there this summer and tried to get some pictures but was unable to do so.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Well that leaves Ioaninna but I believe that if Jasper states he is a professional scholar he might be luckier even in Kerkira.

Kind regards