Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiatorial Munera Dates
Ave Civitas,

I have just finished reading "Emperors and Gladiators"

In it it notes:

When Augustus institutionalised them as annual ceremonies, they took place at the two times of the year that correspond to Christian Easter and Christmas. They were, in other words, symbols of spring regeneration and of the ending of one year and beginning of the next at the period of the winter solstice.
The munera which formed part of the spring festival, the Quiru vitrus, held from the 19—23 March, are attested by Dio and Ovid.

My questions are:

1. Are these dates Rock Solid after the time of Augustus?

2. Was this date restriction valid only in the city of Rome or was it Empire wide?

Thanks for looking at this note.

me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
I, too recall reading that esp. around the feast of the Saturnalia munera were held. But the emperor could decide on whatever reason to hold munera whenever he thought to give his people a treat. This could have been his own birthday, his anniversary of accension to the throne, the birthday or accension day of his predecessor (presuming that one was not victim of damnatio memoriae) etc.

In the provinces it was required of high magistrates to hold either a certain amount of days of munera or ludi circenses or they could mix how many days they hold munera and ludi circenses.