Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optio staff
Quote:I think I'll stop by Wal-Mart
In full kit, of course, with a purchase order from the Praefect?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have seen three unpublished founds of such brass-balls, one of them was definetly worn by an optio, because it was in a sarkophag together with an inscription therein which said that he was such. The other two we cannot say for sure.
It was hollow indeed and you had small openings between bands of bronze, something like a circulare cage.

I was asked to study that one because it had to do with sound and music. Inside that cage was a bronzebell, ringing whenever the staff was moved. Very loud indeed, reminded me of staffs still used in military music from the led person up today.

Must not be that all this staffs have been of this kind of course. but would make sense while marching and having a rythm and somebody in front making it clear for eyes and ears.
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Hey Saul,

I have a picture of a gravestone that depicts a naval optio. His staff comes to his wasit and is toped with a ball. (I will send you the pic when I get home from school tonight)
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Joshua,

Could you send me that picture as well please?

Thanks you very much in advance.

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
Quote:Hey Saul,

I have a picture of a gravestone that depicts a naval optio. His staff comes to his wasit and is toped with a ball. (I will send you the pic when I get home from school tonight)
Sounds good, though how about posting it here so everyone can look at it?

Looking forward to the photo!
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Here is the gravestone and an upclose shot as well.
Joshua B. Davis

Optio Centuriae

Remember, Josh,
You can't always go by the relative heights and widths in sculpture like that...otherwise, his pugio is like 7" wide. In other words, the depiction of the staff doesn't automatically rule out longer ones.

Then again, it might be exactly the right size. How would we know? But it does have a ball on the end, that's clear.

Good find!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Is'nt a gladius? And the left side a leather bag or so?
Looks like a double-weighted pilum to me. There looks to be a depiction of the pilum point at the top of the apsidal recess. I have adjusted the contrast and highlighted the area I think that shows the end of the pilum...

[Image: classis_tombstone.jpg]
Quote:Looks like a double-weighted pilum to me.
I think that's what we decided LAST TIME we discussed this tombstone. :wink:

Tarb's image brings out the pilum (and the friendly face) very clearly HERE.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I think you are right Peroni. I never noticed that until now. A friend sent thoughs pics to me saying they were I just never really looked at it closely. Sorry about that!

Quote:Remember, Josh,
You can't always go by the relative heights and widths in sculpture like that...otherwise, his pugio is like 7" wide. In other words, the depiction of the staff doesn't automatically rule out longer ones.

I totally agree with you. My optio staff come to my shoulders, which is around 6 feet long. I have also made a shorter one that is 4 feet long
Joshua B. Davis

Optio Centuriae

Well, so we are stuck at the VERY interesting post by Susanna.
Susanna, can you post some more news and overall, some pics?
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Suddenly!

A thread resurection. It's been quite a time since Susanna told us about those unpublished finds. Has anything new been found out about them? Has this find been published? Is it indeed Optio's erm... ball? Knob? (Matron!) Or just some sort of a musical instrument not related in any way to his function that's been buried with him?
Perhaps it's the Optio's other ball? :whistle:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
So.. no news. That's a shame, that sounded quite sensational.

So... is it the current consensus that optio had a simple staff, without any big brassy balls attached?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optio hastile (ball-topped staff of office) Julius Verax 23 7,241 04-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Iulius Chattus